Newsroom Update

The all-new Logic Pro for iPad and Mac delivers breakthrough music-making experiences. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cc filter doesn't block it from "Learn"

I have a noisy pot on my midi controller - it sends out endless CC #72. I've solved that from recording CC72 to automation by introducing a Transformer object in the MIDI Environment to drop MIDI CC #72. Works great (screen shots at end of post).

However, if I try to "learn" a new parameter mapping (e.g. Smart Controls->External Assignment->Learn), that #72 CC is picked up immediately and learned -- I can't find a way to Learn any other CC's due to this one getting in the way). Apparently whatever is processing the Learn mapping is bypassing the Transformer in the MIDI environment.

I can't find a way in the MIDI Environment to filter the CC message any sooner than I do. Is there anything I can do in Logic to hide this noisy pot from "Learn"ing new CC assignments?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 17, 2020 11:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2020 8:29 AM

It looks like learn-mode gets midi messages on a global scale, which can’t be filtered inside of Logic. 

Besides buying a new controller or filtering with hardware, the only way comes into my mind is to put a software in between. There might be specialized software for this. I would try max/msp or pd and sending the midi messages from the controller to the app, filtering inside the app then sending the midi messages to Logic on an other port (!). In Logic’s environment you have to exclude the port connection which is used between controller and „filter“ app.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2020 8:29 AM in response to Chine Nual

It looks like learn-mode gets midi messages on a global scale, which can’t be filtered inside of Logic. 

Besides buying a new controller or filtering with hardware, the only way comes into my mind is to put a software in between. There might be specialized software for this. I would try max/msp or pd and sending the midi messages from the controller to the app, filtering inside the app then sending the midi messages to Logic on an other port (!). In Logic’s environment you have to exclude the port connection which is used between controller and „filter“ app.

cc filter doesn't block it from "Learn"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.