Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Format APFS for upgrade from Mojave (10.14.3) to Catalina

I'm attempting to upgrade my new-to-me MacMini (late 2012) from Mojave (10.14.3) to Catalina. When asked to choose where it should be installed I select my only disk (Macintosh HD) and the system indicates "This volume not formatted as APFS."

How do I complete this upgrade (I'm a Windows guy and totally new to MacOS, so I'll need some fairly detailed steps.) Thanks in advance.

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 17, 2020 3:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2020 5:15 PM

Boot into Recovery.

Open Disk Utility

Select the Startup volume (Macintosh HD).

From the Edit Menu, choose the command to convert to APFS.

If it is grayed out, there may be a problem with your drive as it should have converted to APFS when Mojave was installed.

5 replies

Oct 19, 2020 3:31 PM in response to dr_stevens

You are going into Internet Recovery (I assume because the Recovery Volume is damaged).

It would be in the Edit menu, not the Toolbar.

However, that looks like a very old version of Disk Utility. It may not have the option to convert.

Everything you are seeing may indicate a corrupt Recovery partition. That’s why it didn’t convert and you can’t, now.

Do you have a backup?

You will likely need to Erase “251 GB Apple SSD” and then reinstall macOS.

From the looks of that version of Recovery, it will likely reinstall the OS that shipped on that Mac. So, when you erase, use Mac OS Extended (journaled).

You could then try to Restore from your backup.

Format APFS for upgrade from Mojave (10.14.3) to Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.