Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD External Hard Drive

In order to improve the performance of my iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015) I recently acquired a Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD hard drive and mounted it in an Ugreen enclosure. The combination has significantly improve the performance of my Mac, however I am having an issue the nature of which is as follows. Whenever my Mac enters sleep mode there is constant activity taking place on the SSD drive as shown by the LED indicator on the hard drive enclosure.

Consequently, I am using to solicit assistance in resolving this problem, ergo any suggestions/advice will be greatly appreciated

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Oct 18, 2020 12:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2020 12:24 PM

First, that is normal for a startup volume due to the "busy" nature of macOS. You've never noticed it because the Mac does not have a drive activity indicator. Second, be sure to use the best settings in Energy Saver to prevent the external drive from going to sleep when the computer is asleep. Here are the settings I use.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2020 12:24 PM in response to volney

First, that is normal for a startup volume due to the "busy" nature of macOS. You've never noticed it because the Mac does not have a drive activity indicator. Second, be sure to use the best settings in Energy Saver to prevent the external drive from going to sleep when the computer is asleep. Here are the settings I use.

SSD External Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.