Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX 10.4.10 will no longer import PNG files

I can import other types of files, but FCPX (since upgrading to 10.4.10) will not allow me to import a PNG file into my project. At first I tried to drag and drop an image into my media browser (which used to work), but it just bounces back out. Then I tried the import and it just ignores me when I click "import" after selecting the PNG file. If I select other files with the PNG file, import imports everything but the PNG file.

This is new behavior with 10.4.10.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 18, 2020 1:49 PM

9 replies

Oct 19, 2020 11:10 AM in response to Douglas Toltzman

Etrecheck is a diagnostic program you can get from the App Store for free. There is a Pro version that is paid but for this the free version is enough.

Etrecheck produces a report that gives information about your hardware, OS and system modifications, and that often can lead us to the solution of problems. Most problems arise from third party software of which we know nothing, and many times it just takes a look at the report to spot problems.

Run Etrecheck, let it do its report, then click Share Report, choose "Copy Report"; open a reply here in the forum, click the "additional text" button and Paste.

Oct 18, 2020 3:30 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thank you, Tom. The file is a watermark that I use often, so I copied it from another timeline. That's the same reason I know it should work.

This could be a Finder bug also, but Apple is going to have to fix this because they keep forcing me to update my project libraries, even with minor level updates. I can't go back to an older version of FCPX without losing a lot of work. Apple used to write good software. Now it looks like they're just interested in making money.

The really crazy part is that I really only wanted the audio crossfade feature, and it turns out that my audio crossfade workaround is faster than the new feature, so I continue to make my audio crossfades with a simple drag and drop rather than clicking 2 clips and using a hot-key or menu selection.

My primary source of income is from software development. I know Apple could easily create a library format that doesn't require updating every time they add a feature. Apple uses XML for all sorts of things. There is no reason they couldn't use it in FCPX libraries.

On an unrelated note: I can no longer drag and drop a file onto a Finder tab, since a recent OS upgrade. My computers not running Catalina can, but not my iMac with Catalina. Had you noticed that? Can you reproduce it? I haven't been able to find a thread about it.

Oct 18, 2020 11:55 PM in response to Douglas Toltzman

I import png images to FCP frequently, and 10.4.10 is no exception.

I also do not see the Finder problem you described.

Can you try these two things in a new admin account and tell us if they work?

Also, to know more and perhaps find the cause, Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here.

Use the “additional text” button and paste the report into the text box.

FCPX 10.4.10 will no longer import PNG files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.