Images not updating in FinalCut Pro

I have been using Final Cut Pro for the past 3 years. As well as more complex videos, I often use it to make simple videos for use in School assemblies. I begin with creating slides in Keynote and exporting them as images. I then drag and drop the images into FCP and arrange them as I wish. In the past if I have update the images (say changed the layout of a slide and then replaced the existing images) FCP automatically updated the video. Now I have to drag and drop. Any suggestions? Have I inadvertently changed the settings in FCP?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Posted on Sep 13, 2023 1:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2023 4:17 AM

I did another test, this time using Keynote. Just three slides using a dark blue background. Added this to FCP:

Command-Tab to Keynote, changed the template and exported as images, overwriting the previous ones.

Command-Tab to FCP, and there they were!

9 replies

Sep 13, 2023 2:03 AM in response to gadgetgirlie

There is one thing that makes a significant difference while importing: you can copy the files to the library location (which by default is inside the library itself), and you can leave in place.

In the present situation, where you may want to later adjust the file outside FCP and have these changes automatically be seen inside FCP, you need to leave in place. Then your library will point to the files (a symlink is stored in the library, not the actual file), and any changes will be reflected inside FCP.

Sep 13, 2023 4:04 AM in response to gadgetgirlie

gadgetgirlie wrote:

I have even tried "relinking" files, but it will only do that one image at a time, which is a lot more laborious that dragging and dropping.

Why are you relinking one at a time? What in the following process is not working:

1) File->Relink Media->Original Files...

2) Click "All"

3) Select the files on the list that you want to relink

4) Click Locat Selected (or Relink All if you select all the files) and point to the folder containing the files

5) Click Relink

Sep 13, 2023 4:09 AM in response to gadgetgirlie

gadgetgirlie wrote:

Thank you for your reply. I have been leaving the images in place, but they no longer automatically update unless I drag and drop them in to replace the original images. This changed after a FCP update.

I am not sure what is happening. I am using 10.6.8 on Ventura 13.5.2 and it is still working as expected.

I edited a jpeg file in Preview, ostensibly changing the saturation, command-tab to FCP and there it was, in the browser and the timeline, with the changes that I had applied in Preview.

Images not updating in FinalCut Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.