Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Steel String Acoustic" instrument note bending behavior?

Hi folks.

I'm pretty new to Logic Pro X, still getting my head around... well, almost everything. But at the moment I'm bumping into a pretty odd behavior — every note above G1 is doing a bend from a lower note to the note intended in the piano roll. Not sure why it would be set that way by default or how such a setup would be beneficial to the final sound (and most of the other guitars don't do that), but how do I make it just play the notes as written?

Posted on Oct 18, 2020 9:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2020 2:22 AM

That is just the slide sample articulation that gets triggered at those velocities at each note starting at G1 - lower would not make sense, since it can only be done (on a real guitar) starting from F1, the starting note of the G1 slide), the lowest fretted guitar note. The way to avoid that slide is to avoid those velocities for every note higher than F#1. These Sampler guitars: Bluegrass Banjo, Classical Acoustic, Bluesy Acoustic, Steel String Acoustic and Steel String Acoustic 1) start doing that from velocity 124 and higher, but Roundback acoustic guitar starts doing that at velocity 116. The other guitars, including Steel String Acoustic 2, do not.

So, if you use one of the above mentioned, simply avoid those velocities.

Another more elaborate way of avoiding it is to go in to the sample mappings in Sampler and extend the non sliding samples to velocity 127, and remove the slided samples and resave those instruments with a different name (like adding "no slide" to their names)

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2020 2:22 AM in response to yoyoBen

That is just the slide sample articulation that gets triggered at those velocities at each note starting at G1 - lower would not make sense, since it can only be done (on a real guitar) starting from F1, the starting note of the G1 slide), the lowest fretted guitar note. The way to avoid that slide is to avoid those velocities for every note higher than F#1. These Sampler guitars: Bluegrass Banjo, Classical Acoustic, Bluesy Acoustic, Steel String Acoustic and Steel String Acoustic 1) start doing that from velocity 124 and higher, but Roundback acoustic guitar starts doing that at velocity 116. The other guitars, including Steel String Acoustic 2, do not.

So, if you use one of the above mentioned, simply avoid those velocities.

Another more elaborate way of avoiding it is to go in to the sample mappings in Sampler and extend the non sliding samples to velocity 127, and remove the slided samples and resave those instruments with a different name (like adding "no slide" to their names)

Oct 19, 2020 5:17 PM in response to yoyoBen

Weird, I can't seem to find a way around it (Logic 10.5.1 on Catalina), and I can see that the same issue appears with "Classical Acoustic Guitar." I even tried creating a new composition, fresh instrument and adding notes to the piano roll — same note bending behavior on all notes above F#1 (I was wrong about G1 above). :/

See the video here (ignore how muffled it is, that's just my wonky Mac speakers):

http://angledend.com/shared/logic/10-19-20_note_bending.mov

Oct 20, 2020 7:09 AM in response to Eriksimon

YES!

That was it! I was hoping it was something simple, but for the life of me I could not figure out what. I had even looked through all of the lower piano roll options and not seen anything special, it didn't dawn on me to lower the velocities — in fact, I had even done just that for artistic purposes, but by then I was using a different instrument.

Thank you!

"Steel String Acoustic" instrument note bending behavior?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.