Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why cant my M4a's be added to garage band?

The files I need, that I recorded through quicktime, are greyed out.

Is there a better / easy software for editing voice? I'm creating meditations and need something that can edit, cut, rearrange, audio files. I'm familiar with iMovie and Final cut so if there is software similar that would be helpful. I thought garage band was the best similar option, but I'm having an annoying time trying to figure out why I can't import the audio files I created.

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 19, 2020 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2020 10:29 AM

How are you trying to open the m4a files in GarageBand?

When I am recording audio with QuickTime Player and save the record audio as a m4a un my Music folder, I can use it in GarageBand 10.3.5 on macOS 10.15.

Have you tried it this way?

• Launch GarageBand and create a new, empty project.
  • Then drag the mp4 file onto the empty area of the track area to create a new audio track from the file.
  • Then select the new track and click the Library tab to set it to a suitable patch for the recording.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2020 10:29 AM in response to JoyaShala

How are you trying to open the m4a files in GarageBand?

When I am recording audio with QuickTime Player and save the record audio as a m4a un my Music folder, I can use it in GarageBand 10.3.5 on macOS 10.15.

Have you tried it this way?

• Launch GarageBand and create a new, empty project.
  • Then drag the mp4 file onto the empty area of the track area to create a new audio track from the file.
  • Then select the new track and click the Library tab to set it to a suitable patch for the recording.

Why cant my M4a's be added to garage band?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.