Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Target Display Mode Not Working: iMac 27-inch, mid 2011 and MacBook Pro 2017

Hello,

I have been trying to use my iMac (27 inch, mid 2011 w/OS High Sierra 10.13.6) as a second display with my macbook pro (13-inch, 2017, two thunderbolt 3 ports w/Catalina 10.15.7).

I purchased the thunderbolt 2 > 3 adapter, and a thunderbolt 2 cord to connect to my imac.

When i press Command + F2, my imac is not going into target display mode like all the forums mention.

What am I doing wrong?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 19, 2020 5:21 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 19, 2020 5:59 PM in response to ChrisC90_

I've heard of some Keyboards not working...

You can connect any of these older iMac models to another Mac from 2019 or earlier for use as an external display.

Target display mode requires macOS High Sierra or earlier on the iMac used as the external display.

Oct 19, 2020 5:45 PM in response to ChrisC90_

Nothing, your MBP must have 10.13.6 or earlier installed on it for Target Display Mode to work. To be 100% honest, I strongly recommend that you just buy and external display and connect it to the MBP. Target Display Mode was discontinued and is no longer supported. Return the expensive cables you used to connect the iMac and put that money towards buying an external display. Please remember Macs are computer and are not really intended to be external displays for other devices.

The GOOD news is external displays have come down in price and are VERY simple to set up.

Target Display Mode Not Working: iMac 27-inch, mid 2011 and MacBook Pro 2017

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.