Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery cycle count showing over 20,000!!! (new battery) (image attached)

I just got my macbook pro's (mid 2015 model) battery replaced a few weeks ago due to the old battery bulging and expanding.

Last week i checked, my battery cycle count was at 4 and the condition of the battery was normal.

Today, the macbook was not starting and i plugged it into the ac adapter and it booted normally, showing battery percentage at 100%.

Thinking that there must be an issue with the battery, i downloaded coconutBattery to check my stats.

coconutBattery showed me that my cycle count is around 20,427 and the condition is normal,

i uninstalled the app and checked the cycle count in the default system information provided by apple. Alarmingly, even the number here was 20,427.

now, i know for sure my battery has not been through more than 10 cycles, and the condition of the battery is absolutely normal everywhere i check.

What seems to be the issue that's causing such a bizarre discrepancy between the original number and the given number? how do i reset it to the original cycle count?

things i've tried- resetting SMC, rebooting macbook.

i am currently trying to drain the battery completely and then calibrate it by waiting for 5 hours before connect it to the AC adapter.

Meanwhile if anyone could share similar experience or give any tips or solutions to guide me through this, it would mean the world to me.

ps- i didnt find any article or thread that mentioned any problem similar to mine, thats why i am creating my own.

Please Help if you can.

Thank you.

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 19, 2020 11:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2020 12:20 PM

If this is an official Apple battery, then take the laptop back and have Apple or the AASP make it right. You have a 90 day part warranty on official Apple repairs.

If this is a third party battery, then you should ask for a refund as it is defective (or just maybe it just reports the cycle count incorrectly). The quality of third party Lithium-ion batteries is extremely poor even when purchased from a reputable vendor such as OWC. Users should go for an official Apple battery repair as long as the laptop is still supported by Apple (even laptops considered "Vintage" may still be supported by Apple through an AASP). If an official Apple battery is not available, then purchasing a battery from OWC is your best chance for a decent battery. Unfortunately Apple will no longer repair your laptop if it has a third party battery (they may repair it, but it may cost a lot more money to do so).

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2020 12:20 PM in response to parth2961

If this is an official Apple battery, then take the laptop back and have Apple or the AASP make it right. You have a 90 day part warranty on official Apple repairs.

If this is a third party battery, then you should ask for a refund as it is defective (or just maybe it just reports the cycle count incorrectly). The quality of third party Lithium-ion batteries is extremely poor even when purchased from a reputable vendor such as OWC. Users should go for an official Apple battery repair as long as the laptop is still supported by Apple (even laptops considered "Vintage" may still be supported by Apple through an AASP). If an official Apple battery is not available, then purchasing a battery from OWC is your best chance for a decent battery. Unfortunately Apple will no longer repair your laptop if it has a third party battery (they may repair it, but it may cost a lot more money to do so).

Oct 20, 2020 12:45 PM in response to parth2961

Not sure which instruction to calibrate your MacBook Pro battery

were found and followed; there are a few, some from replacement

battery makers, others by third party resellers, etc.

Never saw where the 'memory of charge cycles' had been so expanded.

I've used instructions from OWC and also NewerTech, over several years.

These varied somewhat, so I've three slightly different sets of instruction.

{..an older OWC article suggests more aggressive 'conditioning' routine

for more tired batteries, who have forgotten their mission..}

Most recent info and instruction on re-calibration are different, than older

ones that I'd used with G4 iBook/PowerBook. Those worked good for reset

of semi-failed batteries. These do OK for later builds, with replacement cells.

• How to Calibrate a portable Mac's Power System | newertech

https://www.newertech.com/batteries/power-calibration-guide/

Details vary to the point of some older ones seem too harsh, by new standard.

You've a mystery on your hands, maybe 'a gremlin' adds to cycle count in there?

Take care & good luck!🌞⛵️

Battery cycle count showing over 20,000!!! (new battery) (image attached)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.