Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBookAir 13 inch, 2017, Monterey - stopped giving low battery warning and just shuts down after latest update 12.6

All was fine last week, but after I just installed the Monterey update 12.6, now the battery no longer gives a low battery warning. It just shuts down when it gets around 10%.

I hoped for a way to up the amount of time left before giving me the warning, but that doesn't seem to be a setting that I can find.

Maybe the 2 things aren't related, but it seems very suspicious that they happened at the same time. I did the update to 12.6.1 hoping it included a patch to fix this, but it does not.

Battery message reads, "This battery's capacity is significantly reduced. To restore capacity, please check service options" (take battery in for service is the recommendation).

Laptop is definitely out of warranty and I don't have a couple hundred dollars to spend on repair, especially when the battery was working fine before the update. :(

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 6:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 10:17 AM

Get help with your Mac laptop battery - Apple Support

That Apple Support document is a full and comprehensive list of your options.

Similar questions

2 replies

Oct 26, 2022 5:03 PM in response to Caitlinem

This laptop is five years old. It is not surprising that the battery may be starting to fail. This is one of the classic signs the battery is failing. If you cannot afford to have the laptop repaired at this time, then make sure to connect the charger before it gets below 15%-20%, otherwise power off the laptop to prevent an unexpected shutdown which could cause corruption.

MacBookAir 13 inch, 2017, Monterey - stopped giving low battery warning and just shuts down after latest update 12.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.