Battery health declining fast and Macbook overheating.

I have a Macbook air M2 which I purchased on October 2022. So, it's been an year almost and recently in the last few weeks I have experienced my mac overheating during intensive tasks. Also, the battery health is declining. In around 9 days it has come from 99% to 95%. It has cycle counts of 112. It is in warranty but it's warranty will expire soon in 4-5 days. So, my concern was is the battery health normal for being at 95% for cycle counts of 112. Also, I am concerned looking at the battery health dropping so fast given the fact that the device overheats sometimes. I also submitted my Macbook in an apple authorised service centre where they ran their apple hardware diagnosis on my device. In the diagnosis, the battery check passed. But, even though it has passed now but looking at the declining battery health I feel it would fail in a few days when my warranty expires. Please let me know what should I do or is my case normal?

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 15, 2023 8:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2023 9:11 AM

A drop from 99% to 95% in one year would not be unusual. Apple does not consider that the laptop's battery should be replaced unless it cannot maintain, at least, an 80% charge after 500 recharging cycles.

Ref: About battery health management in Mac notebooks - Apple Support

The overheating issue you are referring to can be due to a number of reasons. One, you already mentioned, is from running intensive applications. You didn't mention what apps you are using or told us which were running to cause this condition, so we have little to go on to assist you with this matter.

One suggestion is to run an EtreCheck report, and optionally, post it here if you need assistance with interpreting its results. EtreCheck is a diagnostics program, developed by a valued forum member, that greatly aides in troubleshooting "hidden" problems with Macs.

Ref: Using EtreCheck to Troubleshoot Potential… - Apple Community

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2023 9:11 AM in response to darshanhande11

A drop from 99% to 95% in one year would not be unusual. Apple does not consider that the laptop's battery should be replaced unless it cannot maintain, at least, an 80% charge after 500 recharging cycles.

Ref: About battery health management in Mac notebooks - Apple Support

The overheating issue you are referring to can be due to a number of reasons. One, you already mentioned, is from running intensive applications. You didn't mention what apps you are using or told us which were running to cause this condition, so we have little to go on to assist you with this matter.

One suggestion is to run an EtreCheck report, and optionally, post it here if you need assistance with interpreting its results. EtreCheck is a diagnostics program, developed by a valued forum member, that greatly aides in troubleshooting "hidden" problems with Macs.

Ref: Using EtreCheck to Troubleshoot Potential… - Apple Community

Oct 15, 2023 9:31 AM in response to Tesserax

Hey Tesserax, thanks for the reply. The apps which I use are Visual Studio Code and I run Next.js and Node.js code on my laptop through visual studio code terminal. While doing so my laptop gets overheated. Now, running Next.js or Node.js code isn't an intensive task but due to the macbook getting overheated I felt it might be intensive. These applications are not intensive for a macbook air with m2 chip since there is almost no GPU usage and a minimum CPU usage only. But still the top left corner of my macbook gets heated.

Battery health declining fast and Macbook overheating.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.