Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change favourite icons on "Start Page" (Safari 14 macOS)

I've been customising my "Start Page" on Safari 14. Some of my favourites have successfully preloaded an icon to display in the Start Page as you can see in the screenshot.

I managed to manually change the iCloud icon by going to ~/Library/Safari/Touch Icons Cache/Images , the reason I managed to change it was because it was previously displaying a different icon saved in the path folder stated above, so I managed to simply replace the icon with the iCloud one.

Unfortunately I didn't have the same luck with the Youtube and Amazon icons since these just show a letter and not an actual icon I can replace.

Does anyone know how to give them an icon?

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 20, 2020 4:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 3:03 PM

ok, after some tries and searching I found this:

1. Touch icons must be at least 144x144, PNG, 72 dpi
  2. the name must be the MD5 of the domain (32 letters and numbers)
  3. the .png extension must be present (go to "information" of the file and deselect the relative option)

If there are still issues, close Safari, then go to ~/Library/Safari/Touch icon cache folder, open the file TouchIconCacheSettings.db and for the relative domain of the icon set the field "icon_is_in_cache" to 1, then restart Safari.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2020 3:03 PM in response to Salvatore Micciche'

ok, after some tries and searching I found this:

1. Touch icons must be at least 144x144, PNG, 72 dpi
  2. the name must be the MD5 of the domain (32 letters and numbers)
  3. the .png extension must be present (go to "information" of the file and deselect the relative option)

If there are still issues, close Safari, then go to ~/Library/Safari/Touch icon cache folder, open the file TouchIconCacheSettings.db and for the relative domain of the icon set the field "icon_is_in_cache" to 1, then restart Safari.

Nov 27, 2020 5:57 AM in response to Salvatore Micciche'

I have faced a similar issue in Safari 14, not with the Favourites icons themselves but with the folder icons, which should display mini-icons rather than a grey folder icon. I have decided to use my full bookmark folder as the Start Page Favourites, and it contains several sub-folders where the bookmarks are organized. The picture below shows how the Start Page Favourites folders should look like:

Instead, this is what I am getting in the Start Page:

After some tests I have found that quitting Safari, erasing the TouchIconCacheSettings.db-shm file in the "~/Library/Safari/Touch Icons Cache" folder and launching Safari again would sort of revert the Favourites folder icons to the correct state (but not all folders, I couldn't figure out exactly why), but that doesn't last for long: after closing and opening a new window the grey folder icons are back.

Any suggestions to fix it would be much appreciated !

Change favourite icons on "Start Page" (Safari 14 macOS)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.