Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina & Word

Having upgraded to Catalina 4 weeks ago and losing access to my free WORD & Excel docs, I have looked for the latest advice but I’m only finding questions from October or November 2019.

Is there any updated advice?

Has anyone deinstalled and reinstalled their previous OS and found that everything works like it used to?

If I were to fork out for Office 2019 or Microsoft 365 or whatever solution there is, would I be able to open my existing word & excel documents?

This is a complete mess & I’m not the only victim of this change.

thanks in advice of advice

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 20, 2020 8:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2020 8:59 AM

Your existing Microsoft documents are unaffected by the Catalina 64-bit application requirement. Whether you choose one of the following, you can continue to open, edit, and save your Office documents. Apple's applications do not work on Microsoft documents in their native document format and translate then into the respective Apple document format, and export (translate) back to Microsoft document format. This allows for variation in the resulting document content.

1. Subscription - Microsoft 365
    1. Personal
    2. Family
    3. Applications are located in the Mac App Store, and are strictly subscription applications
  2. Single-purchase - Office 2019 for Mac
    1. Home & Student
    2. Home & Business
  3. free, 64-bit LibreOffice Suite
    1. Download
    2. Documentation
  4. Apple applications (free, 64-bit, not clones of Microsoft applications with missing features, Catalina or later)
    1. Pages
      1. Documentation
    2. Numbers
      1. Documentation
    3. Keynote
      1. Documentation
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2020 8:59 AM in response to carlfrombroughton astley

Your existing Microsoft documents are unaffected by the Catalina 64-bit application requirement. Whether you choose one of the following, you can continue to open, edit, and save your Office documents. Apple's applications do not work on Microsoft documents in their native document format and translate then into the respective Apple document format, and export (translate) back to Microsoft document format. This allows for variation in the resulting document content.

1. Subscription - Microsoft 365
    1. Personal
    2. Family
    3. Applications are located in the Mac App Store, and are strictly subscription applications
  2. Single-purchase - Office 2019 for Mac
    1. Home & Student
    2. Home & Business
  3. free, 64-bit LibreOffice Suite
    1. Download
    2. Documentation
  4. Apple applications (free, 64-bit, not clones of Microsoft applications with missing features, Catalina or later)
    1. Pages
      1. Documentation
    2. Numbers
      1. Documentation
    3. Keynote
      1. Documentation

Oct 20, 2020 8:53 AM in response to carlfrombroughton astley

If I were to fork out for Office 2019 or Microsoft 365 or whatever solution there is, would I be able to open my existing word & excel documents?

Yes, your documents will be the same as always.

Office 365 is a yearly subscription. Office 2019 is the current one-time cost perpetual license version.

This is a complete mess & I’m not the only victim of this change.

You're not a victim of anything. Software doesn't last forever. 32 bit software is dead on the Mac, and now also in Windows. MS is no longer distributing a 32 bit version of Win 10.

Catalina & Word

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.