Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro panic: GPU panic

My MacBook Pro is a 15-inch, mid-2012 Retina, and I saw an error report like this. What do I do? (I can only show the first part of this because of the character limit.)

panic(cpu 6 caller 0xffffff7f8596e563): GPU Panic: mux-regs 3 0 a0 d9 9 8 severity 3 WS-ready 0 switch-state 13 IG FBs 0 EG FBs 0:0 power-state 0 3D idle HDA idle system-state 0 power-level 20:20 power-retry 0 connect-change 0 : NVRM[0/1:0:0]: Read Error 0x0010a4cc: CFG 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0xffffffff, BAR0 0xc0000000 0xffffff920937c000 0x0e7150a2, D0, P3/4

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Oct 20, 2020 9:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2020 9:37 PM

Skylus wrote:

I'm replying to you on Safe Mode right now. No errors has happened for the 2 to 3 hours (yet), but the graphics on Discord and Safari breaks and the computer is super laggy. Is this normal in Safe Mode?

Potentially, yes. When running in Safe Mode, third-party kernel extensions are not loaded and a minimal set of Apple drivers are enabled which will affect the overall performance of your Mac, including graphics. The idea of running in this mode is to determine if one of those third party extensions/drivers may be the culprit. It appears that it has.

The next step would be to create a new user account, log out of your current account, and then, log in with the new account. In this case, you do not want to boot up in Safe Mode. Again, run in this configuration for at least an hour to see if the error returns. If it does not, then you know something in your current account is causing the errors.

The final step is to log in with your current account. Then completely remove the Discord app, and then, restart your Mac. Again, let run for a bit to see if the error reoccurs. If it does, then you know it's this app. If not, completely remove Zoom (I realize this may impact your studies, but we need to find out if Zoom is the problem.) Again, restart the Mac, and see if the error reoccurs. If it does, then you know Zoom is the issue. If not, then you can reinstall Zoom (& Discord, if required) and further troubleshooting will be necessary.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2020 9:37 PM in response to Skylus

Skylus wrote:

I'm replying to you on Safe Mode right now. No errors has happened for the 2 to 3 hours (yet), but the graphics on Discord and Safari breaks and the computer is super laggy. Is this normal in Safe Mode?

Potentially, yes. When running in Safe Mode, third-party kernel extensions are not loaded and a minimal set of Apple drivers are enabled which will affect the overall performance of your Mac, including graphics. The idea of running in this mode is to determine if one of those third party extensions/drivers may be the culprit. It appears that it has.

The next step would be to create a new user account, log out of your current account, and then, log in with the new account. In this case, you do not want to boot up in Safe Mode. Again, run in this configuration for at least an hour to see if the error returns. If it does not, then you know something in your current account is causing the errors.

The final step is to log in with your current account. Then completely remove the Discord app, and then, restart your Mac. Again, let run for a bit to see if the error reoccurs. If it does, then you know it's this app. If not, completely remove Zoom (I realize this may impact your studies, but we need to find out if Zoom is the problem.) Again, restart the Mac, and see if the error reoccurs. If it does, then you know Zoom is the issue. If not, then you can reinstall Zoom (& Discord, if required) and further troubleshooting will be necessary.

Oct 21, 2020 8:26 AM in response to Skylus

Upon initial review, it appears to be GPU/graphics related. One item we look at is the last loaded kext (kernel extension). For your report it is:

last loaded kext at 6314063987: @fileutil 20.036.15 (addr 0xffffff7f85680000, size 114688)

loaded kexts:

@fileutil 20.036.15

Are you familiar with what this is? Did you load any type of third-party file utility recently?

I suggest try booting up your Mac in Safe Mode. Let it run in that mode for several hours and check to see if the errors continue. Please post back your results.

Oct 21, 2020 5:50 PM in response to Tesserax

Not really sure what this is, but I remember I have downloaded Zoom and Discord since getting the MacBook Pro. I also remember downloading a file of 6 pictures from a friend on Discord and some documents from my university. The file is deleted now.

Thank you for the help! :)

MacBook Pro panic: GPU panic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.