Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'hpPostProcessing.bundle' malware?

Today I was working on my MacBook Pro and I wanted to print a document on an HP printer. When I pressed the 'print' button, Gatekeeper told me the following proces/application is malware and does harm to my Mac: 'hpPostProcessing.bundle'.

Normally I never have this issue when I want to print anything on the printer that I used today. Could anyone tell me if I need to assume that this process/application is really malware, or that I can assume that it is a 'false positive'?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 1:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2020 6:31 AM

You did Not have to go buy a different printer. Almost none of the others who have posted on the now 6 pages of posts here had to do that.

---------

If you don't see it in Software Update, Apple now has it posted as a separate, manual download.

HP Driver update 5.1

https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1888?locale=en_US

--------

what you will need to do:

delete your old Printer Queue,

restart your Mac,

download new Drivers,

Add-A printer to get your full original functions back.

You should not have to fall back to generic postscript driver or AirPrint driver, but those remain as work-arounds.

90 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2020 6:31 AM in response to gmd12

You did Not have to go buy a different printer. Almost none of the others who have posted on the now 6 pages of posts here had to do that.

---------

If you don't see it in Software Update, Apple now has it posted as a separate, manual download.

HP Driver update 5.1

https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1888?locale=en_US

--------

what you will need to do:

delete your old Printer Queue,

restart your Mac,

download new Drivers,

Add-A printer to get your full original functions back.

You should not have to fall back to generic postscript driver or AirPrint driver, but those remain as work-arounds.

Oct 26, 2020 2:08 PM in response to Jonathan Pite

No need to trash anything.

A fix was provided rather quickly. Do the following:

A. Get the most recent HP drivers, either from:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/hp-printer-essentials-S-5_14_8_4.pkg

or

HP Printer Drivers v5.1 for OS X

or

System Preferences > Software Update (if you don't see it, press Command+R)

B. Run the installer.

C. When the installer completes, go to System Preferences > Printers & Scanners, highlight the HP printer and remove it. Then add it back. This is necessary because otherwise it will continue to use the now unsigned drivers and it will appear that the problem has not been fixed. Apparently installing the update does not remove the old drivers.

A note on AirPrint: Your Mac may say it can’t find the AirPrint printer. If that should happen, reboot your router.

Nov 4, 2020 8:41 AM in response to LoveLoveLynn

I hope you've solved your problem by now, but you don't need to buy a new printer. I started to think that too but found help in the link below. Just follow this link to upgrade your HP printer software (via Apple) to 5.1. Then delete your printer and reinstall. It will work after that.

Problem solved (for me). I've downloaded the 5.1 driver from Apple. They have updated the drivers. After installation, I have to delete the printer in System Preferences, add it new and all works fine.

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1888

Nov 9, 2020 2:05 PM in response to LoveLoveLynn

The post and link from @Debra9 fixed my problem quickly. After wasting a good(bad) day's worth of effort, including Apple support. I wonder how many person-days were unnecessarily wasted. Thank you for all your comments! Apple, moving forward, I hope you do more to prevent loyal customers from wasting their time.

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1888?locale=en_US

Nov 16, 2020 10:49 AM in response to Timas007

This Apple article contains a link too the official HP article that addresses the subject. Its advice is similar to what has already been posted here. you need to get rid of the existing Printer queues, delete old drivers, download new drivers and re-create print queues. Details in the HP article.

If your HP printer doesn't work and you see a warning that HP software '...will damage your computer' - Apple Support

Oct 23, 2020 8:39 PM in response to orchardPhd

orchardPhd Said:

"'hpPostProcessing.bundle' malware?: Keep seeing 'HPDeviceMonitoring.framework' will damage your computer - can't close it, do I try to trash it? Is it malware?"

-------

Removing This:

Just what is HPDeviceMonitoring.framework, and where is it located? Google this, it appears to be Malware.

Scan with Malwarebytes for Mac:

Scan for Malware:

Start with running a scan for malware, using Malwarebytes for Mac and remove what is found. Perhaps something was installed that made this occur. Remove what is found from the quarantine. Malwarebytes is made by longtime users of these forums, and is the only security software safe to use on a Mac, as it does not get in the way. So, once removed from the quarantine, uninstall Malwarebytes, if desired.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstaller

If a Scan Does Not Work, Try this:

• Create New Administrator User

Try creating a new Administrator user, and scanning with Malwarebytes for Mac.

• Boot in Safe Mode:

You may need to boot into Safe Mode [Hold Down the Shift Key upon boot]. Once at the login screen, release shift. See if it now can be scanned for and then removed. In Safe Mode, only necessary items load (i.e. the caches), and new preferences are set aside.

Oct 23, 2020 8:34 AM in response to apebox

When you choose to use the AirPrint driver over the "standard" Mac driver, the disadvantage is:

you are discarding any possible use of Printer special features that could have been specified in the Printer dialog box.

Some printers can do built-in duplexing, alternate paper trays, image rotations or landscape/portrait, different paper sizes, shrinking/enlarging, different grayscale or color options, draft mode, and more.

the advantage is:

it prints the same way as your phone.

Oct 23, 2020 11:22 AM in response to Nilla-777

Same issue. Following several suggestions here (thanks), tried re-installing 5.1 from HP website with same results. Then installed generic drivers through Preferences. I found the PCL version (which had additional options, such as Layout, over PS) works best (AirPrint not an option for me) for the time being. However, it only prints grayscale and not color. Will probably call HP, so will share any more info.

'hpPostProcessing.bundle' malware?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.