Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printer designated malware. Is there a fix coming?

I have an HP Photosmart Plus B209a-m that serves my needs. My driver has suddenly been designated as malware, and the instructions to correct this problem don't seem to work. Even though the driver worked fine, reinstalling it from HP throws up a flag that it's incompatible with 10.15.5. Simply adding the printer brings back the messages about malware.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Nov 19, 2021 6:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2021 10:20 AM

Hi,

Have you tried to reset the printing system (see link below)?

If necessary, you could perhaps try the HP Photosmart Plus B209a-m (version 4.2.5) driver mentioned in the article Printer and scanner drivers for Mac - Apple Support. The package from Apple (Post Date: Dec 11, 2020) HP Printer Drivers v5.1 for macOS can be found at https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1888?locale=en_US .

Make sure that you have backup copies of all important files (documents, photos, et cetera) before carrying out any printer driver tests.

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Add a printer on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2021 10:20 AM in response to Counterfeiter

Hi,

Have you tried to reset the printing system (see link below)?

If necessary, you could perhaps try the HP Photosmart Plus B209a-m (version 4.2.5) driver mentioned in the article Printer and scanner drivers for Mac - Apple Support. The package from Apple (Post Date: Dec 11, 2020) HP Printer Drivers v5.1 for macOS can be found at https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1888?locale=en_US .

Make sure that you have backup copies of all important files (documents, photos, et cetera) before carrying out any printer driver tests.

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Add a printer on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Nov 19, 2021 10:54 AM in response to Counterfeiter

Your description of the driver name suggests to me that you downloaded and installed the HP Printer Drivers v5.1 for macOS. Even if you downloaded this directly from Apple's download site, and it was dated Dec 2020, it may not provide a 64-bit printer driver that macOS Catalina requires. And, installing the July 2017 version of this download, would very likely get you in deep voodoo too.

As HP released no drivers for this device since Jan 2014 and they remain intended for macOS Mavericks (10.9), there is no current support for this Photosmart printer on Catalina or later. The only fix would come from HP and they haven't supported this Photosmart model in nearly 8 years.

Printer designated malware. Is there a fix coming?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.