Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: “HPDeviceMonitoring.framework” will damage your computer.

i can't get rid of this pop up message can anyone help me please

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 2:26 AM

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

Hello Lindenbaum,

I've just got rid of it by:

1. Using Finder to go to "Library/LaunchAgents" and moving the most recently added and suspicious looking file to the bin.
  2. Did the same here "Library/LaunchDemons"
  3. And here "~Library/LaunchAgents"
  4. I also went to "Applications" and sorted by most recently added to see if anything suspicious has been added, and removed that.
  5. Then I restarted my Mac and it's fixed!

Good luck!

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 3:05 AM

Question marked as Helpful

Oct 23, 2020 2:51 AM in response to Lindenbaum In response to Lindenbaum

hi, I'm getting the exact same popup, I know its not malware. because its part of my printer software downloaded from Apple Mac store but apple not updated my software a few OS's ago and have Malwarebytes Premium installed for a few years now. I have not downloaded anything in past 24-48 hours. somehow I think its a MacOs compatibility issue apple will need to address

Oct 23, 2020 2:51 AM

Oct 23, 2020 2:25 PM in response to Lindenbaum In response to Lindenbaum

I solved this and the inability to print by following these steps exactly:

Go to 123.hp.com

Do NOT put in your printer type, instead use the "My device is not listed" link. This takes you to a more generalized tool to download.

Click the Download button. The application "HP Easy Start" version 2.9.3 will download.

Open this app... do NOT go beyond the first screen. Instead, look under the HP Easy Start menu next to the Apple menu, and select and choose "Uninstall HP Software..."

This launches the Uninstaller. Click Continue. Then it takes quite a while to remove all HP files.

When it's done, there is a button to relaunch HP Easy Start, called "Set Up New Device". Click that.

This time "Agree" and hit the Continue button. Make sure of the listed things on the next screen and click Continue.

Select your printer (mine is a printer on the network, it just shows up by its name, e.g. "Anubis") and click Continue.

Click "Install" in the next panel. The 'essential' software is downloaded, and permission must be given to proceed with installing.

Installation seems to take a long time. When it is done click Continue.

At this point you can set up Status and Alerts. I don't know what happens if you do, I just skipped that step by clicking Continue.

In the next panel, click "Add Device..." button. That doesn't take long. Then click "Print Test Page". 

If you are lucky like me that page prints. Click Continue. Next is to set up online access things. I didn't really want that, so when I clicked the "Continue Online..." button I did NOT click the "Register My Printer" button in the web page that opened. You might want to.

I confirmed that printing from an app actually works, and then restarting the computer did NOT result in the "damage" warning.

YAY.

Worked on a Catalina iMac and a Mohave MacBook Air.

Oct 23, 2020 2:25 PM

Oct 23, 2020 10:12 AM in response to Lindenbaum In response to Lindenbaum

From preliminary investigation, this appears to be a false positive of some kind. A number of other printer drivers and some Amazon software (Amazon Music, Amazon Workspaces) are also affected. This is only happening on Catalina and (probably, though unconfirmed) Mojave. These do not appear to be malicious.

It's still uncertain exactly what is causing the problem, but please don't go ripping things out of your systems willy-nilly! Do not remove launch agents or daemons if you don't know what they are, as that can break legitimate software.

If you're affected, search for information on how to properly uninstall the software in question. For example, for HP software, look for an HP-provided uninstaller, or contact HP support for assistance with removing it. Be sure to use resources only on the HP website, such as support.hp.com, to avoid getting scammed. (Googling for "HP support" is likely to connect you with a scammer.) The same goes for Amazon, etc.

Hopefully, this situation will be resolved. We at Malwarebytes are still investigating and have been in communication with Apple, who is also investigating.

Oct 23, 2020 10:12 AM

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Oct 23, 2020 2:51 AM in response to Lindenbaum In response to Lindenbaum

hi, I'm getting the exact same popup, I know its not malware. because its part of my printer software downloaded from Apple Mac store but apple not updated my software a few OS's ago and have Malwarebytes Premium installed for a few years now. I have not downloaded anything in past 24-48 hours. somehow I think its a MacOs compatibility issue apple will need to address

Oct 23, 2020 2:51 AM

Reply Helpful (3)
Question marked as Solved

Oct 23, 2020 3:05 AM in response to Lindenbaum In response to Lindenbaum

Hello Lindenbaum,

I've just got rid of it by:

1. Using Finder to go to "Library/LaunchAgents" and moving the most recently added and suspicious looking file to the bin.
  2. Did the same here "Library/LaunchDemons"
  3. And here "~Library/LaunchAgents"
  4. I also went to "Applications" and sorted by most recently added to see if anything suspicious has been added, and removed that.
  5. Then I restarted my Mac and it's fixed!

Good luck!

Oct 23, 2020 3:05 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Oct 23, 2020 3:19 AM in response to Rolaa In response to Rolaa

Hi, thanks for update, will try this when I get up home. Is this a common issue? As I was thinking of uninstalling my printer Mac App Store software and installing HP own software for my HP Printer. My iMac(late 2014) MacOS and other software is on latest software versions.

Oct 23, 2020 3:19 AM

Reply Helpful (2)

Oct 23, 2020 3:29 AM in response to alistairmck In response to alistairmck

Hello alistairmck,

You can obviously do that, but I don't think the HP software is the culprit. I updated (what I thought was) the Adobe Flash player yesterday, and have since had that problem. I think that instead I downloaded malware then.

I've been with Apple forever, and I have never had that problem.

Best, Carola

Oct 23, 2020 3:29 AM

Reply Helpful

Oct 23, 2020 7:28 AM in response to Rolaa In response to Rolaa

When I looked in those folders, there are five files, 3 arrived on 19 October although I only got the pop up this morning.

com.google.keystone.agent.plist

com.google.keystone.xpcservice.plist

com.google.keystone.daemon.plist

This arrived in September:

com.adobe.fpsaud.plist

I know nothing of these thins so any help will be much appreciated.

This in March:

com.apple.installer.osmessagetracing.plist

Oct 23, 2020 7:28 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Oct 23, 2020 8:50 AM in response to Rolaa In response to Rolaa

hi, 1 plist file in LaunchAgents folder that was causing the popup for me, when I looked at the plist file properties, it was created on 22nd oct, deleted plist file and restarted Mac, no popup. thanks again for all your help. if this didn't work, would have taken drastic steps, a full factory reset.

do you know if It was malware? strange how everyone got it at the same time with different creation dates etc. I'm off to complain to malwarebytes, I'm paying £29.99 a year for malwarebytes for Mac(premium) with latest updates installed, ran a full system scan 5 times and got all clear for all of them

thanks again

Oct 23, 2020 8:50 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Oct 23, 2020 8:52 AM in response to Lindenbaum In response to Lindenbaum

I have this post popping up too now. It is making my Finder unusable as it comes up every 20 seconds. Initially, I clicked on "Show in Finder". I deleted the folder it took me to. Then I rebooted and can't print. So I put the file back in what I believe is the right place. I tried the steps above and deleted a couple of entries from LaunchAgents that were recent. I am not sure what a "suspicious" file looks like. I ran LaunchDaemons and deleted the most recent file. When I searched on ~Library/LaunchAgents it said no file found. I also deleted the most recent application (all dated the same day which was associated with google). Restarted. I also got a pop up in the last couple of days telling me to update my Adobe Flash and that it will be expiring soon and I stupidly updated on faith. Its not fixed and I can't print. Using Catalina 10.15.7 on MacBook Pro mid 2015. Not sure what else to do. Also to compound the problem, my 2 year extended warranty on the printer expired this week too. I am not sure that it is a co-incidence.

Please help me.

Oct 23, 2020 8:52 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Oct 23, 2020 8:54 AM in response to Lindenbaum In response to Lindenbaum

After over a year with having two HP printers in use, this morning, 10/23/2020 after startup of my Mac, I started getting this same pop-up. In searching for a cause, I saw where to look in the ~/Library/LaunchAgents folder and indeed this file was put there yesterday, 10/22/2020, at 10:00 AM: com.hp.devicemonitor.plist

I deleted this file from the ~/Library/LaunchAgents folder, which resolved the pop-up box from coming up, however now my HP Envy 7640 printer will not work. Our other HP printer does continue to work.

Hoping Apple will come up with suggestions on this.

Oct 23, 2020 8:54 AM

Reply Helpful (1)
User profile for user: Lindenbaum

Question: “HPDeviceMonitoring.framework” will damage your computer.