Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPod Volume too loud at lowest setting for calls

When I am on a call, what I am hearing from my AirPods is too loud even at the lowest setting. It is not possible for me to go any lower. I have tried unpairing/ pairing. It has not fixed the issue. I don’t see a setting anywhere to turn it down.

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 13

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 2:06 PM

I've had this issue with my AirPods on and off ever since I bought them a couple years ago, through 3 phones and at least a couple iOS upgrades. The ONLY thing I've found that helps is to go to "Settings -> Sound&Haptics -> Headphone Safety -> Reduce Loud Sounds -> Lower to 75 decibels."

This keeps the AirPods from destroying your eardrums when someone calls/texts (even with the ringer set to low) and lowers the volume on calls to a more reasonable, albeit still loud level (again, even when the volume is set to the lowest level possible).

Downside here is that when I use my bluetooth speaker to play music in the house, I have to manually disable this feature, as it affects that bluetooth device as well.

Really wish Apple would do something about this! :(

42 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2021 2:06 PM in response to Janerat

I've had this issue with my AirPods on and off ever since I bought them a couple years ago, through 3 phones and at least a couple iOS upgrades. The ONLY thing I've found that helps is to go to "Settings -> Sound&Haptics -> Headphone Safety -> Reduce Loud Sounds -> Lower to 75 decibels."

This keeps the AirPods from destroying your eardrums when someone calls/texts (even with the ringer set to low) and lowers the volume on calls to a more reasonable, albeit still loud level (again, even when the volume is set to the lowest level possible).

Downside here is that when I use my bluetooth speaker to play music in the house, I have to manually disable this feature, as it affects that bluetooth device as well.

Really wish Apple would do something about this! :(

Jan 20, 2021 5:25 AM in response to Janerat

I got Airpod Pros for Christmas and just took them out of the box last night and began using for WebEx and work phone calls. IPhone SE 2020, ios 14.3. The volume even on minimum is so loud I have to pull them half way out of my ears to keep the volume tolerable. I've followed the suggestions written in this discussion, but volume is still too loud.

C'mon Apple, send out a software update to allow us to lower the volume further in voice calls.

Nov 18, 2020 10:52 AM in response to raina_b22

I have the same problem as Janerat - ever since upgrading to iOS 14, phone calls have been too loud with airpods, even at the minimum volume setting. Neither of the two articles above was helpful. "Headphones Accommodations" doesn't provide a way to reduce volume, only to boost it or adjust dynamic range boosting.

To be more specific, the problem is likely occurring when the airpods enter the bluetooth HFP profile usually because an app has switched audio categories to playAndRecord. In A2DP for audio playback, the airpods volume can be set to zero, but in HFP, the minimum volume level still produces audible output. That lowest level seems to have changed between iOS 13 and 14, and is now perceived as too loud by some people.

You guys likely have a good reason for disallowing ~functional~ muting in HFP - perhaps so that it's less likely I'll have a hot mic without being able to hear people respond to me (therefore making me aware I can be heard). Whatever the reason, it's pretty much ruining the iphone/airpods experience for me. I use the phone app and a variety of other VOIP apps day in and day out, and in my quiet office, nearly everyone is too loud. I've now had to switch to wired headphones for most of that activity, which is pretty lame.

Please consider reducing the minimum amplification setting for airpods in HFP for everyone, or adding a setting to reduce it personally.

Oct 27, 2020 8:00 PM in response to Janerat

Hey Janerat,

We're glad you thought to ask Apple Support Communities about the issue you're having with the volume of your AirPods. You mention unpairing them and setting them up again. In your troubleshooting, did you also restart your iPhone: Restart your iPhone

Take a look at the following for ways to control the volume: Change the volume on AirPods with iPhone

If that doesn't help, let us know more details:

• Does this happen if you pair them with another device?
  • Are you able to control the volume in other areas, such as apps?

The more details you can provide the better.

Take care!

Jan 17, 2021 9:28 AM in response to Janerat

After listening to a Zoom lecture yesterday - on the lowest volume setting - I now have that “cotton wool in my ears” feeling. Could this be damaging my hearing? I have this problem when talking to people via WhatsApp as well. It seems to have gotten worse after iOs 14 but I’m not sure. Music apps are not a problem though. Seems to be only VOIP that has the problem.

Oct 27, 2020 8:43 PM in response to CarlAVII

Yes I have restarted my phone, the issue has been persistent since I bought my airpods a few months ago.

I am having the issue when on phone calls using the phone app. I am able to change the volume without any problems, however the lowest setting I can go to is till too loud. It gets to the point where I can’t/don’t want to use the AirPods during a call depending on how closely the other person is to the mic. Usually the person I am talking to is using an iPhone as well.

I don’t have this issue on the apps (Youtube, Spotify, etc.. ). I would also want to be able to adjust the volume of the ding sound that is played when you AirPods are being paired. It is just a little too loud and adjusting it would be nice.

Thanks

Jan 6, 2021 2:01 PM in response to Janerat

I've had the Airpod Pros for about a year, and this drives me absolutely crazy as well. Unless I'm in a loud environment I frequently have to take the airpods halfway out of my ears lest my eardrums explode - especially when its ringing. I otherwise love the airpod pro experience, but how the minimum call volume ended up getting miscoded and has yet to be fixed after all this time is beyond me.

AirPod Volume too loud at lowest setting for calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.