Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Estimated VO2 max

Hi,

My new apple watch serie 6 is not calculating VO2 max when my old serie 2 was calculating it everytime I performed a workout.

Bug? "feature"? Will it be enabled again in future watchOS versions?

Thanks,

.- Jorge

Apple Watch Series 6, watchOS 7

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 10:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 1:10 PM

Mine was recording fine until I had to do a restore to get my GPS and other data back in sync.

It stopped recording at that point.

I have got it back working it would seem by resetting the fitness calibration data

From your iPhone>Watch>Privacy>Reset Fitness Calibration Data>Tap this

You will just get a confirmation box that tells you that your metrics will not be as good if you do this.

Tap confirm and do it. You will get nothing else, no confirmation but it is done.

Then go for a 20 minute outdoor run or walk using the workout app at your normal speed on a flat road/path etc

This will re-calibrate the watch.

The next time you do a workout (not this time) it should show your V02 max

That is what worked for me.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2020 1:10 PM in response to jalonsillo

Mine was recording fine until I had to do a restore to get my GPS and other data back in sync.

It stopped recording at that point.

I have got it back working it would seem by resetting the fitness calibration data

From your iPhone>Watch>Privacy>Reset Fitness Calibration Data>Tap this

You will just get a confirmation box that tells you that your metrics will not be as good if you do this.

Tap confirm and do it. You will get nothing else, no confirmation but it is done.

Then go for a 20 minute outdoor run or walk using the workout app at your normal speed on a flat road/path etc

This will re-calibrate the watch.

The next time you do a workout (not this time) it should show your V02 max

That is what worked for me.

Oct 23, 2020 1:04 PM in response to jalonsillo

I found this on another thread with the same problem;

Oct 20, 2020 11:50 AM in response to Puzzl1ng

Update: 2020/10/20

Finally, a solution!

A couple of days ago, I went for a walk. I started the Workout-Outdoors Walk but for some reason I forgot to link the watch to the iphone as I always do and kept it on airplane mode. I walked for about 25 minutes then synced with the phone not expecting anything to happen. I was surprised to see a VO2 max recorded.

Emboldened, I kept the watch linked to the iphone and went for another 25 minute walk hoping to get another VO2 max reading. Surprisingly, *no* VO2 max was recorded during the second walk.

Since that day, I have done a few runs and multiple walks while keeping the watch in airplane mode in all of them: each one recorded a VO2 max without a problem.

So put your watch on airplane mode, go for a run/walk, and see if it helps.

Estimated VO2 max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.