Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP Printer Drivers 5.1 are malware?

Sometime in the last few days, either Apple or HP seems to have broken most of HP's printers for the Mac--if the comments on the HP forums are any indication.

I have two MacOS systems, one is 10.14.6 and the other is 10.15.7. Both stopped printing at the same time. The Error Log message on both computers was "[cups-deviced] (hpfax) crashed on signal 9!"

The 10.14.6 machine will queue the print job, but never sends it to the printer. This even happens when trying to print a test page from the the Apple "PrinterProxy (571)".

The 10.15.7 machine will not queue the print job, instead it says that some HP driver file will harm my computer, and then proceeds to report the incident to Apple.

I got the same behavior before and after installing the file downloaded from HP's web site and recommended here in an apple KB article, "HPPrinterDivers5.1.dmg". I was asked if I wanted to install that driver, since it had an outdated certificate--I did anyway.

This happens on two Mac laptops with two different OS versions, and happened at the same time. I can still se the web page served by the printer over my network, and I can still print test pages from that web page (which are generated internally in the printer).

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 11:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 1:08 PM

Here's an update I saw on the HP forum [ https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Setup-Software-Drivers/HP-Utility-fails-with-Code-Signature-Invalid-MacOS-10-15-7/m-p/7824870/highlight/true#M200138 ] by StevePSplusB209:

This is an HP software signing issue that cannot be fixed or worked-around by users.

An HP developer must
- re-sign the HP Utility code using a valid certificate authority
- re-create the installer package and sign it
- post the updated installer package on HP Support

An experienced developer could do this in a hour or two. I know, I used to do this (retired driver writer)

This may take a week or so for HP to fix ... unless everyone screams REALLY LOUDLY since all of our perfectly functional printers are now just warm electric bricks.

Similar questions

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2020 1:08 PM in response to SteveSgt

Here's an update I saw on the HP forum [ https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Setup-Software-Drivers/HP-Utility-fails-with-Code-Signature-Invalid-MacOS-10-15-7/m-p/7824870/highlight/true#M200138 ] by StevePSplusB209:

This is an HP software signing issue that cannot be fixed or worked-around by users.

An HP developer must

An experienced developer could do this in a hour or two. I know, I used to do this (retired driver writer)

This may take a week or so for HP to fix ... unless everyone screams REALLY LOUDLY since all of our perfectly functional printers are now just warm electric bricks.

Oct 23, 2020 1:21 PM in response to SteveSgt

I was asked if I wanted to install that driver, since it had an outdated certificate--I did anyway.

Apple admonishes its users not to install drivers, so you and everyone else who did may be suffering from the effects of using a certificate that has expired.

Refer to Add a printer on Mac - Apple Support.

I do not profess to know what the underlying cause may turn out to be, but Apple has been inexorably pushing everyone to use AirPrint for about a decade now. At present it seems to affect only HP drivers. If your HP printer is AirPrint-enabled, then remove the existing print queue and add it again as an AirPrint printer.

If it is not AirPrint-enabled, this event may portend the end of support for them. As I wrote I don't know for certain.

The dialog box is certainly misleading. A driver downloaded from HP certainly isn't malware, but these days it seems anything that doesn't conform to Apple's iron-clad security requirements might as well be. We'll have to just wait to see how Apple and HP resolve it, assuming either one is motivated to do that.

Oct 25, 2020 8:57 AM in response to SteveSgt

The driver software is NOT malware. It is NOT a compatibility conflict, or a stability issue, or software glitch.

* It is simply an EXPIRED CERTIFICATE *

Although I don't know where to find the expiration date of the software certificate for drivers currently installed on my computer, when I tried to update the drivers, the most recent release (from Aug 4, 2020) is already expired!

So the solution is exactly what @SteveSgt posted by StevePSplusB209:

An HP developer must

The only temporary work around that should work is setting the date back on your computer. HOWEVER, if you do this, most website functions will not work because of the mismatched date.

Oct 26, 2020 7:08 AM in response to SteveSgt

When this happened to me on the weekend I nuked everything on my Mac that referred to hp printers because I decided to order a new Brothers to replace my 12 year old HP printer rather than mess with workarounds. Interestingly, after I rebooted my computer the printer reappeared in System Preferences/Printers & Scanners and works fine! Good to go until the new printer arrives (getting duplex printing and wifi, so it's an upgrade). I learned about this from a poster on MacForums who did the same thing. Apple and HP must have rushed out an overnight fix.

Oct 26, 2020 10:28 AM in response to shineysky

Congratulations @shinesky on getting a new printer! I think Brother is a very good choice. My experience with HP printers is that HP is not as focused on good, clean technical code, functionality, stability, and longevity as they are on marketing and selling the newest model - often just forgetting about older units all together. It seems that I have had to "figure out" something on every HP printer I've had to get it to work that way I need. I also have a Brother laser printer that has been a solid workhorse from the beginning. Installation on every computer was straightforward, maintenance is minimal, support is still active, and the interface just works every time. Best of luck & enjoy!

Oct 27, 2020 1:41 PM in response to SteveSgt

It happened today after rebooting my Mac. The error messages were so frightening and nagging that I decided to remove everything related to HP printers.

Removed all instances of HP printer in System Preferences, uninstalled all related software (HP Utility, HP Scan) and rebooted until no more warnings were shown.

Adding printer in System Preferences afterwards yielded no more warnings. And have restored all print and scanning features back without the need to install any HP driver from App Store or HP site.

So much hassle due to an incredible basic (and important) procedure of signing or revoking a certificate!

Nov 18, 2020 7:21 AM in response to SteveSgt

I was able to set up a new printer and select a generic driver to print to my HP 2055dn.

Opened printers in preferences.

double click on printer

at bottom of window pick software...choose generic

save a new printer.

worked for me.

this is what pushed me to try...https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/set-default-printer-print-center.html

HP Printer Drivers 5.1 are malware?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.