Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP Scanner 3 will harm your computer

Mac OS Catalina (10.15) with HP OfficeJet 8620 installed wirelessly. Has been working fine until today when I received subject message. I am unable to find "Easy Scan" on my computer so cannot delete it as indicated by previous support recommendations. Also, I am unable to connect to the printer and am a bit queasy about reinstalling it with the malware.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 24, 2020 12:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2020 12:08 PM

It's not malware.

From sources familiar with the matter, HP Inc asked Apple to revoke its printer driver code-signing certificates. It appears this request backfired as it left users unable to print. A HP Inc spokesperson told us on Friday night:

We unintentionally revoked credentials on some older versions of Mac drivers. This caused a temporary disruption for those customers and we are working with Apple to restore the drivers. In the meantime, we recommend users experiencing this problem to uninstall the HP driver and use the native AirPrint driver to print to their printer.

HP supplied a new driver on Friday to fix the issue:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/hp-printer-essentials-S-5_14_8_4.pkg

However, that "fix" is producing this error for some users:

"Matterhorn.framework" will damage your computer…

If you're seeing that, try this fix. Go to System Preferences, select Printers and Scanners. Select your printer from the list then delete (-) it. Then add (+) your printer back and select the generic driver to use.

Update: HP Printer Software 5.1 should now be becoming available through Software Update to fix this issue. (2220 UTC 23 October 2020)

Open  > System Preferences > Software Update      (Command R will reload and do a fresh check)

Similar questions

92 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2020 12:08 PM in response to tomfromround rock

It's not malware.

From sources familiar with the matter, HP Inc asked Apple to revoke its printer driver code-signing certificates. It appears this request backfired as it left users unable to print. A HP Inc spokesperson told us on Friday night:

We unintentionally revoked credentials on some older versions of Mac drivers. This caused a temporary disruption for those customers and we are working with Apple to restore the drivers. In the meantime, we recommend users experiencing this problem to uninstall the HP driver and use the native AirPrint driver to print to their printer.

HP supplied a new driver on Friday to fix the issue:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/hp-printer-essentials-S-5_14_8_4.pkg

However, that "fix" is producing this error for some users:

"Matterhorn.framework" will damage your computer…

If you're seeing that, try this fix. Go to System Preferences, select Printers and Scanners. Select your printer from the list then delete (-) it. Then add (+) your printer back and select the generic driver to use.

Update: HP Printer Software 5.1 should now be becoming available through Software Update to fix this issue. (2220 UTC 23 October 2020)

Open  > System Preferences > Software Update      (Command R will reload and do a fresh check)

Oct 24, 2020 1:11 PM in response to tomfromround rock

Open the System Preferences, then click on Printers & Scanners. Ignore that your multi function device is already listed. Click the + button and choose the device from the list.

It will look for drivers for that device and most likely automatically choose it. Instead, click the drop down menu and choose the Generic PCL Printer option.

Better, if it appears as a choice, use AirPrint.

Oct 26, 2020 4:39 PM in response to PatrickLeigh

First page, my first response. Yes, the message changes according to what HP device/software you have installed, but it's the same issue. These are the latest steps to correct the problem:

A fix was provided rather quickly. Do the following, per fellow forum member, Lawrence Finch:

A. Get the most recent HP drivers, either from:

or

HP Printer Drivers v5.1 for OS X

or

System Preferences > Software Update (if you don't see it, press Command+R)

B. Run the installer.

C. When the installer completes, go to System Preferences > Printers & Scanners, highlight the HP printer and remove it. Then add it back. This is necessary because otherwise it will continue to use the now unsigned drivers and it will appear that the problem has not been fixed. Apparently installing the update does not remove the old drivers.

A note on AirPrint: Your Mac may say it can’t find the AirPrint printer. If that should happen, reboot your router.

Oct 30, 2020 2:35 PM in response to crideout@cox.net

I have an old HP psc 2410 photosmart all-in-one printer and had the same problem: after apple sent through the HP printer driver update, my printer worked, but not the scanner. I tried various approaches listed on HP site and here, and then decided I would search for the 5.1 driver update that I had tried to download on the HP website days ago to see if the credentials had been updated. The search landed me on the site listed below and it worked! I downloaded the drivers and installed them. My scanner is now working. https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1888?locale=en_US

Oct 27, 2020 10:42 AM in response to dragonflylady1

I found that I was able to resolve this with just a few basic "desktop support" troubleshooting steps.

• Removed the printer via System Preferences>Printers & Scanners
  • Drag and drop the "hp" folder in its entirety into the Trash fully to fully remove the drivers and software. The path for my folder is as follows: Macintosh HD (primary data hard drive)/Library/Printers/hp...
  • Power cycle the printer since nothing changed or automatically initiated at this point (just pull power plug and plug back in, make sure USB is still connected and printer is powered on)
  • Re-add the printer via Printers & Scanners. in System Preferences. MacOS should recognize and show the printer in the list (in my case HP 1500 deskjet). When you add it MacOS will prompt you to install the latest and greatest HP driver software directly from Apple.

Worked just like new! No more pesky malware errors. I wish I had taken screenshots but I did not. Sorry... Hopefully this works for someone else.

Nov 20, 2020 10:59 AM in response to DanBusler

If your printer is Air Print capable, unless it is very old, forget the song dance with HP drivers.

1. Delete the printer from the printer list
  2. Reinstall the printer and select the printer name with Air Print

My old HP Officejet 8610 all in one printer works with the scanning and printing with Air Print. If your printer is not Air Print capable, you will have to either wait for a driver that works, or buy a new printer that is Air Print capable.

Have a nice day.

Oct 24, 2020 1:36 PM in response to tomfromround rock

You're somewhat stuck in a loop because removing the device from the list doesn't remove the drivers from the Mac's drive. When you choose it again, the OS sees what are supposed to be the drivers for that device and wants to select them. But it then again sees the files HP screwed up by reporting them to Apple to be revoked.

Open the main Library folder (the one next to Applications, System, etc.). Open the Printers folder. You'll see something similar to the following. I don't have an HP printer, so there is no folder for one.

Move the HP folder (I'm assuming there will be one) to the desktop. Enter your admin password if necessary. Restart the Mac.

What you've done is a somewhat sloppy, manual removal of the installed HP drivers. That should stop the messages so you can add the device again using the generic driver.

Oct 26, 2020 5:05 AM in response to tomfromround rock

I found an easier solution that works for me. I, too, could not launch HP Easy Scan after upgrading to Catalina (although the HP printer has still been working fine). To launch the app, I right-clicked on the HP Easy scan app (found in Applications folder) and selected Get Info. There's a box you can check in that window called "Override Malware Protection". That must be something new, because I've never seen it before. I clicked the box and now my HP Easy Scan app is working!

Jan 14, 2021 12:38 PM in response to jeanne124

The first HP link says, "We were unable to find drivers for your product."

Right. I tried to save the link with the drivers set to 10.14, but HP's site must need a cookie to remember it. Since I set it to 10.14, it remembers that choice on my Mac.

For you, click the "Choose a different OS" link. This box will pop open:

From there, you can choose Mac OS on the left, and macOS 10.14 on the right.

You'll then be able to download the last Mac drivers HP wrote for this scanner and see if they work.

Oct 24, 2020 12:53 PM in response to Kurt Lang

I agree. I have tried to update the driver by going to System Preferences>Software update with no results. In the meantime, I have no printer and no scanner, both of which I use regularly. You mentioned a generic driver. Please bear with me, in simple terms, where might I find a working driver so I can use my device? I do appreciate your help.

Oct 24, 2020 1:25 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Deleted the printer, attempted to add. Selected every option available in the drop down without success. Sometimes got the message HPDM.FRAMEWORK will damage your computer, moved it to trash, tried again , got message MATTERHORN.FRAMEWORK will damage your computer, moved it to Trash, tried again, got some other .FRAMEWORK message. At no time was the installation attempted by the computer.

Oct 24, 2020 2:04 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Moved the folder (one of several ) to desktop and rebooted. Added the printer successfully but scanner never connected so am missing something. So, deleted the printer again and attempted to reinstall it again. This time, the printer did not show up when selecting + and Search was futile. There are printers listed in one of the HP files but not mine.

Oct 24, 2020 3:01 PM in response to Kurt Lang

When I deleted the printer the last time and attempted to reinstall it, no printer was available after I selected +. I don’t know how to enter the printer and reinstall. Is this something A is working on or should I go buy a Windows machine? Just kidding. Would never do that but would go by a different all-in-one. Would there be drivers for a different one?

HP Scanner 3 will harm your computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.