Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Failed Backup after Trade-in

I just got the iPhone 12 and they backed up my trade-in before I reset the phone. When I went to activate my new phone it says it used the most recent backup, right before the trade-in, but it only has the photos and videos from the prior backup a year ago. In iCloud it says I still have the trade in back-up saved at 5.5Gb and it says my current backup is only 3.4Gb. Should I restart my new iPhone and try transferring from the trade-in backup? It says the backup was successfully completed so I don't know why it would back me up from the previous backup :/

iPhone 12, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 5:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 5:25 PM

ennielson wrote:

.... It says the backup was successfully completed so I don't know why it would back me up from the previous backup :/

You must have picked the wrong backup when you set up the device. iCloud saves the two most recent backups and the oldest one is deleted when the device backs up again. That process repeats over and over every time that you back up.

If you are still seeing the backup from the trade-in exists, then erase the device and restore the trade-in backup. Restarting the phone isn’t enough, you have to erase it first.

See this for more help.

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2020 5:25 PM in response to ennielson

ennielson wrote:

.... It says the backup was successfully completed so I don't know why it would back me up from the previous backup :/

You must have picked the wrong backup when you set up the device. iCloud saves the two most recent backups and the oldest one is deleted when the device backs up again. That process repeats over and over every time that you back up.

If you are still seeing the backup from the trade-in exists, then erase the device and restore the trade-in backup. Restarting the phone isn’t enough, you have to erase it first.

See this for more help.

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Failed Backup after Trade-in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.