Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'E' key sticking and repeating

I have an early 2015 MacBook that I purchased in Singapore in early 2016. Earlier this year I started having problems with the 'e' key sticking and repeating. It was intermittent and an air blower seemed to clear the issue for a while. It has now become unusable as it repeatedly types 'e'.

I discovered that Apple have a recall program on my keyboard type and model but when I took it to the authorised service centre they pointed out that my purchase date was over 4 years ago and so the fault wasn't covered under the warranty.

This seems harsh given that it's a know fault with the butterfly keyboards and most of the 2015 machines must be not covered either despite being one of the affected models.

Anyone have any ideas how I can resolve this?

Cheers

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 9:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 9:48 PM

According to Apple, your notebook would have been eligible. Please review the following article. However, note that this service program is only good for four years from the notebook's original purchase date. Being that it is late 2020, is most likely, why the service technician told you it was no longer covered.

Ref: Keyboard Service Program for MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2020 9:48 PM in response to paulosussex

According to Apple, your notebook would have been eligible. Please review the following article. However, note that this service program is only good for four years from the notebook's original purchase date. Being that it is late 2020, is most likely, why the service technician told you it was no longer covered.

Ref: Keyboard Service Program for MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro - Apple Support

Oct 23, 2020 10:06 PM in response to paulosussex

No argument there and I can certainly understand your frustration.

It may be of little consolation, but having now experienced Apple's service program's policies first-hand, the following reference should come in handy. At least you could keep up with Apple's service offerings. Sorry, that I couldn't offer a solution that will not result in a non-cost to you.

Ref: Exchange and Repair Extension Programs - Apple Support

'E' key sticking and repeating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.