Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AW 6 Always On Altimeter

The always on altimeter is not displaying the correct elevation. It is usually 70 to 90 feet higher than the actual elevation. I set this up as a new watch and it seemed to work accurately for awhile. I'm not sure if this is a hardware issue or software issue at this point since the watch is new. I have noticed the issue more since the last OS update.

Sometimes a restart of the watch will correct this issue temporary.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Apple Watch Sport

Posted on Oct 24, 2020 5:54 AM

4 replies

Nov 12, 2020 1:21 AM in response to Sphagnum_Pete

I talked with a senior advisor at Apple support yesterday. He said the development team is aware of the issue and they are looking into it. They collected the logs off my watch and phone to review. It has to be a software issue because third party apps work, and if you ask Siri on your watch what’s my altitude she give the correct number.

It good that others are having the same issue. That will hopefully speed up a fix.

Dec 17, 2020 11:28 AM in response to Elery

Having similar issue with the barometric altimeter (Apple Watch 6).

Mine is more than 2100 feet high, with the error margin (elevation field in the compass app) at +/- 1650ft.

Un-pairing and re-pairing makes it show good altitude for a day or so. Same when I installed watchOS7.2.

The altimeter actually indicates elevation changes (and is very sensitive) if I raise or lower my wrist. Just completely out of calibration.

I'm frustrated with the Apple support responses. Always suggesting it's a magnetic interfere in the compass app :(

AW 6 Always On Altimeter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.