Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

microphone does not work on iphone 12 pro

I recently bought the iphone 12 pro. When I use facetime or facebook messenger video chat, the audio becomes choppy for the other end. Is it a hardware problem or software?

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 24, 2020 8:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2021 1:49 PM

“they” can’t fix anything if it’s a hardware problem until they have your phone. Here is a way to diagnose→If the microphones on your iPhone aren't working - Apple Support

You should also test the microphones with the voice memo app.

353 replies

Nov 2, 2020 2:11 PM in response to amylyxo

I have the same problem too. It doesnt seem to be a mic problem as far as I can tell. I recorded via voice memo, front camera and back camera and the recording is just fine. I assume it may be a software issue but this is all just speculation.

One quick question, does anyone have a apple watch paired to your phone? I unpaired mine and repaired it and everything seems fine for now

Nov 2, 2020 8:43 PM in response to amylyxo

I have spent about 2.5hrs on the phone with apple today about this issue. In the past few days I have turned my phone off and on, tried FT with and without WIFI, removed my phone case to see if it was interfering with the mic, nothing has helped. I decided to try FT on my Ipad to see if how that went and it worked just fine. When I talked to apple today they had me restore my phone. The first time the restore froze and never actually restored it, I did it a second time then it finally restored setting. After the fresh restore I made a FT call and it was still choppy on the other persons end, I have no problems hearing them. Called apple again, I was going to restore a second time but I told this guy(as well as everyone else) about this thread and here is the convo.

Apple Tech: "No I'm not going to have you restore it again, if everyone is having this issue than I'm sure another restore isn't going to fix it. It will probably be fixed in the next IOS update."

Me: "I have told all the other apple techs about this thread and they said they haven't heard about any issues with this so how do you know this will be fixed in the next up date?"

He didn't really answer this question

Apple Tech: "They are wrapping up the newest update right now so if you can hang on for a little bit I'm sure it will be fixed."

Me: "How long is a little bit?"

Apple Tech: "A couple months."

.......................SO I'M SUPPOSED TO PAY $50ISH DOLLARS A MONTH FOR A PHONE THAT IS OVER A $1,000 FOR IT TO NOT WORK FOR A " COUPLE MONTHS"????

He then had me try one more thing, turn FT off restart my phone and then turn FT on again, I made a FT call and for about 10 min there was no choppyness butttt then it returned. I'm so frustrated I don't know what to do besides return it?!!

Nov 10, 2020 3:16 PM in response to YourMobileGeek

It has for a while:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251448718

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251347876

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251573017

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251828717

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251596243?page=4

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251549437?page=3

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251664774

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251682139

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251447824?page=2

I really don't understand why this issue hasn't been solved yet. Seems to have something to do with feedback from the other end: some people reported not sounding choppy anymore once the person on the other end muted their mic... Or when switching to earphones instead of using speakerphone whenever the problem occurred. That's not an actual solution though, a phone in this price range should just work perfectly when using FaceTime or calling hands-free. Was hoping it wouldn't be an issue for the 12-series anymore, but looking at these new posts, nope..!

Mar 1, 2021 11:45 AM in response to amylyxo

Bought a new 12 pro max for my wife about a week ago. Didn't think about testing it out of the box first before transferring her data over from her old 7 plus. So don't know what IOS version the 12 came with and if the mic was working then or not. We had to update to latest version (14.4) in order to transfer wife's data over and so we did. Transfer went well and everything appeared to be working fine. A few days later wife tried to make a Facebook messenger call with me and I couldn't hear her at all. We then tested FaceTime and tried making phone calls...other couldn't hear a thing...nada. Tested the Voice Memo app and when playing back a recording all we could hear was loud static. To Google we went looking for a solution or to see if others were experiencing similar microphone issues. Low and behold, we found two threads, this one and another at: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252186963?page=1

Did all the troubleshooting and even did a factory reset as a new user and issue still there. Download ‎Phone Diagnostics on the App Store (apple.com) as suggested from someone on the other thread, ran it, and the bottom mic FAILED!!! Using a Bluetooth headset works but such an inconvenience. Took the 12 to Apple store and returned that sucker before the 14 days was up. So disappointed to have paid over $1000+ for a phone and the mic doesn't even work! I especially feel sad for my wife as she was really looking forward to the new 12 pro max, and we were going to use it to shoot photos at our upcoming baby shower :( Holding out on getting another 12 until there's an official fix or Apple acknowledges it. Might even have to wait for the 13 or switch over to Android.

Dec 2, 2020 1:56 PM in response to megan_831

Have you read any of the thread you posted to, that has other user’s experience in fixing the problem? Things to try:

• Update to 14.2.1 (this version is only for the 12 series)
  • Remove any case you have on the phone, ESPECIALLY if the case is not specifically made for an iPhone 12
  • Turn on or off noise cancellation (try both ways)
  • Don’t cover the mic on the bottom of the phone with your finger
  • Tell the person on the other end not to use speakerphone, which can trigger noise cancellation

Jan 15, 2021 10:39 AM in response to amylyxo

I'm having a similar problem with my iPhone 12 Pro and reviewed this entire thread, plus "the rest of the internet" looking for a solution. I did not find anything to fix the issue. Here are my symptoms:

• The other party on a cellular call cannot hear me when I use the speakerphone (but holding the phone to my ear or using Bluetooth devices works fine)
  • The other party on a third party voice/video call (e.g., Facebook Messenger) cannot hear me
  • Voice Memos cannot hear me (the graph is a complete flatline, not merely muffled or choppy)
  • Siri and keyboard dictation cannot hear me (dismisses as if I haven't said anything at all)
  • Note: Audio recording in both front-facing and world/rear-facing videos is fine (unaffected by this issue)

Documenting things that I tried that did not work, for what it's worth:

1. Removing the case (even though it has appropriate cutouts)
  2. Unpairing my Apple Watch (Series 4), which some people had suggested might help
  3. Turning off Bluetooth entirely
  4. Confirming that neither Privacy nor Screen Time settings have restricted access to the microphone (not that this would ever effect a call)
  5. Turning off Accessibility > Audio/Visual > Phone Noise Cancellation
  6. Rebooting the phone (many, many times)
  7. Resetting all settings (General > Reset > Reset All Settings)
  8. Wiping the phone, both with and without restoring from a backup (General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings)
  9. Upgrading to the iOS 14.4 Beta 2 and praying for a fix in that version (nope)
  10. Restoring from 14.4 Beta 2 using iTunes and Recovery Mode (going back down to 14.3 and starting fresh, not from a backup)

It's either a hardware issue with one (or two?) of the microphones, or something very weird with the firmware. Coordinating with Apple on a replacement.

Feb 14, 2021 10:13 PM in response to roderick264

I continue to have success with the workaround I found for the problem of my audio coming through choppy during FaceTime. (I'm going to only refer to FaceTime as that's my usage but it may have broader applicability.) My Feb. 4 post contains background info in addition to the workaround. Reposting the workaround with some readability improvements:

Turn the microphone OFF for all the apps currently requesting access to it:

• Go to Settings => Privacy => Microphone
  • Turn all of these OFF and leave them OFF
  • Give it a try and see if audio choppiness is gone

FYI: A "workaround" is not a long-term solution but may get it useable in the meantime. (And offer a clue to what the heck the problem is.) This workaround means if you want to use voice commands for apps that use the microphone, such as google maps, that you'll have to turn the mic on when using that app and back off when using FaceTime.

The long-term solution is for Apple to fix the issue.

Feb 19, 2021 5:22 PM in response to roderick264

The theory that led me to this successful workaround is that it appeared to my A/V Expert friend that the microphone was battling with other apps to have control during FaceTime. Therefore access to the microphone for ALL apps must be off when using FaceTime so that there is no battle for control. Once FaceTime session is done those other apps access to the microphone can be turned back on. (A pain in the *** for sure, but it's a workaround not a solution.) At the very least it would be appreciated if you would give this a try, with access turned off for all apps, to see if it works for your situation.

Also, I keep the microphone off for all requesting apps and I am able to use speaker phone for calls. It does not appear to be related to these on/off settings.

How to turn the microphone OFF for all the apps currently requesting access to it:

• Go to Settings => Privacy => Microphone
  • Turn all of these OFF and leave them OFF during FaceTime.

Mar 13, 2021 4:38 AM in response to sherryrb

This is the latest picture I’ve been getting on my iPhone 12 Pro by just swiping up on apps and my speaker is so messed up it sounds like I’ve bought a fake iPhone from China that’s how bad the quality is when I making phones calls and the worse thing about it I’m in warranty and iPhone will not admit fault will not replace my phone I keep sending it off for repair going to apple store my self they keep doing diagnostics on it and saying the diagnostics is saying it’s all fine and keep giving me back the defective phone that I paid 1200 pounds for this ridiculous customer support from apple I’m so unhappy and stressed out i really didn’t know apple customer support had gone down the drain otherwise I would off gone with another company there making me out to be a liar and making me doubt my self literally making me out to be crazy I really don’t know what to do next

microphone does not work on iphone 12 pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.