Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 14.1 hot laggy mess

When I updated to IOS 14 my iPhone 11 Pro Max became extremely laggy, hot, and would eat the battery.

Per Apple I did a full restore connecting to iTunes and did not use a back up. Needless to say it was very inconvenient. The phone was smooth and normal again.

Now that I have updated to 14.1 it is happening all over again. What is the deal?

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 24, 2020 3:17 PM

10 replies

Oct 26, 2020 7:56 AM in response to mikhail96

mikhail96 Said:

I have same problem on my 11 pro, iPhone hot even on basic daily tasks

———-

Get this Serviced:

Getting this serviced seems the way to go from here.

A. Verify if this is Covered:

How old is this? You have a one-year, out-of-the-box, limited-warranty. So, if less than a year old, or if you have this covered under AppleCare Plus coverage, then get this serviced. Check Coverage Status: AppleCare+ - Check Where it Stands

B. See about Getting this Serviced:

Go Here: Send-In Service - Include Handwritten Notes with the Packaging

Contact Apple - see if getting a swapout is an option. It may be available for send-in service. Write some notes down on a sheet of paper and include it in the send-in box, to explain anything you need them to know.

Contacting Apple Support:

Why the Wait:

Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due do lots of calls. And that makes sense because with the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get thorough :)

Oct 24, 2020 6:56 PM in response to TMorss

To clarify, I had an iCloud Back up and am fully aware how to use it. I was told specifically by Apple to restore and NOT use the back up. That’s what made it so frustrating.

This a key troubleshooting step.

If your issues remain WITHOUT having restored your backup, it's likely a hardware issue.

As you manually rebuild your phone and install apps. you can hopefully isolate at which point your symptoms return and which app may be responsible. Laborious for sure, but effective.

Oct 24, 2020 3:56 PM in response to TMorss

TMorss Said:

"IOS 14.1 hot laggy mess: When I updated to IOS 14 my iPhone 11 Pro Max became extremely laggy, hot, and would eat the battery. Per Apple I did a full restore connecting to iTunes and did not use a back up. Needless to say it was very inconvenient. The phone was smooth and normal again. Now that I have updated to 14.1 it is happening all over again. What is the deal?"

-------

Is Everything Genuinely Apple?:

If you have a replaced battery, or replaced screen, or have place a cover on the screen, then incompatibility/inoperability may be the cause of this.

Take this as a Learning Experience:

Backup First: Make a backup of your device using iCloud or your computer. That way you have something to restore your iPhone to, should anything go wrong after the update.

Oct 24, 2020 4:21 PM in response to TheLittles

This phone is a replacement directly from Apple that is less than two months old. Everything is genuine.

I’m not sure what the learning experience you are referring to. I restored not using a backup because Apple made me. The only thing I have learned is IOS 14 is a mess and should not have been released in this state.

So you are saying I need to do another restore?

Oct 24, 2020 4:41 PM in response to TMorss

TMorss Said:

"This phone is a replacement directly from Apple that is less than two months old. Everything is genuine. I’m not sure what the learning experience you are referring to. I restored not using a backup because Apple made me. The only thing I have learned is IOS 14 is a mess and should not have been released in this state. So you are saying I need to do another restore?"

-------

"Learning Experience":

If you never backed it up, then learn from this. Apple made you a backup. So, you have one. But always make one from here on out, prior to upgrading.

So, yes. Restore from the backup - that should fix this.

IOS 14.1 hot laggy mess

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.