Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 Pro portrait mode problem

So my new phone seems to have some real problems with portrait mode. I can't even begin to understand what the software is thinking with this. Anyone else having this problem?

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 25, 2020 6:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2020 8:23 AM

I went to the Apple store and they said it was likely due to restoring my iPhone 12 Pro from a backup of my previous iPhone X. Sometimes restoration from older phones carries forward bugs/incompatibilities with newer phones. They ran a hardware diagnostic and said there were no issues, so with my permission they erased my phone and initiated it from scratch. I then restored all my purchases via the App Store (I did lose some app data unfortunately since you can’t selectively restore it from backup, and had to rearrange all my home screens but not the most useless exercise). But, I no longer have any issues with portrait mode. Pix looks great. So, that may be the problem/solution for many of you.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2020 8:23 AM in response to rescue4study

I went to the Apple store and they said it was likely due to restoring my iPhone 12 Pro from a backup of my previous iPhone X. Sometimes restoration from older phones carries forward bugs/incompatibilities with newer phones. They ran a hardware diagnostic and said there were no issues, so with my permission they erased my phone and initiated it from scratch. I then restored all my purchases via the App Store (I did lose some app data unfortunately since you can’t selectively restore it from backup, and had to rearrange all my home screens but not the most useless exercise). But, I no longer have any issues with portrait mode. Pix looks great. So, that may be the problem/solution for many of you.

Dec 24, 2020 1:21 PM in response to skunker12

So I spoke with Apple tech support a few weeks ago about this and directed the rep to this thread. At the time I was still on 14.1 (as that’s what came on the phone), rep recommended updating (of course) as she believed there was a fix in 14.2 for this issue. After updating and doing a restart I have not had this issue again.

The pictures with the issue, like the original one I posted, are still messed up though. :-/

I also came from an older iPhone and transferred over to the new 12 pro, so I assume that’s the problem others have reported.

iPhone 12 Pro portrait mode problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.