Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

McDonalds app initialization critical error on iPhone

Unable to log in! Tried everything! Talked with Apple support, screen shared, restarted phone Apple I6. Get error readings, initialization error, log in error! Help!? Love the fries!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 25, 2020 7:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2020 8:52 AM

Same here! The app automatically logged me out and now never lets me login. Every time I try, it just tells me again that I need to login. I’ve reported it to McD’s a few times with no response. This has been going on for 1-2 weeks, I think since their last version update.

109 replies

Oct 25, 2020 8:17 PM in response to Krzldy1949

Krzldy1949 Said:

"McDonalds App: Unable to log in! Tried everything! Talked with Apple support, screen shared, restarted phone Apple I6. Get error readings, initialization error, log in error! Help!? Love the fries!"

-------

Have you Contacted McDonald's?

See if McDonald's has any feedback for you on solving this.

Contact McDonald's Support:

1. Go Here: Contact Us: Mobile App Questions and Feedback | McDonald's
  2. Select: "Contact Us and FAQs" for "Pick a Different Topic"
  3. Select: "Phone" for "Mobile Device Type"
  4. Select: "Apple iOS" for "Mobile Operating System"
  5. Enter: [your mobile app version]
  6. Enter: What you need assistance with (up to 1,200 characters)
  7. Proceed from there as necessary

Oct 28, 2020 9:02 AM in response to onetyger

Oh so sad! I go there so often! You are right, since the last update! Any suggestions? I have not heard from McDonald’s either. I get the “initialization” comment and then the “error” when trying to log on or make a new account. There is also an error in location so that may be the problem. My dtr has same problem with her I-phone. My android user is fine! I wish McDonald’s would respond. Thank you!

Oct 28, 2020 9:02 AM in response to onetyger

onetyger Said:

"Same here! The app automatically logged me out and now never lets me login. Every time I try, it just tells me again that I need to login. I’ve reported it to McD’s a few times with no response. This has been going on for 1-2 weeks, I think since their last version update."

-------

You are welcome.

Excellent job reporting it! It will help many for sure!

Oct 28, 2020 9:12 AM in response to Krzldy1949

I’ve seen tons of complaints/1star reviews recently in the app store. Surely they will work to resolve the issue and create a new version very soon to update. I’m fresh out of ideas to try. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the app twice, restarted my phone, removed the app from my Facebook logins, etc. And since I always login through Facebook, the app also won’t allow me to create an email login. Until they either respond or make an update, I guess so many of is are just stuck having to wait it out.

Oct 28, 2020 12:47 PM in response to Krzldy1949

Finally just got this in an email from McDonald’s...

As if I hadn’t already tried this dozens of times. Obviously they don’t actually read the messages they get, or they would’ve seen where I already told them I had done this. Sheesh! (and I don’t talk on the phone so I won’t be calling them)

”We recommend you open McDonald's app & press down on the more menu on the bottom right. Press down on the ‘log in’ option that appears from the more menu. Then click on "Login with Facebook" and/or "Login with Google" as we believe when you first registered with the McDonald's Global Mobile App you likely registered with one of these options. If this turns out not to be the case, after trying both of these options, please call in to us at 1-877-334-4332 during our regular business hours 7:00 a.m.and 7:00 p.m. CST Monday through Saturday so we can further assist you.

Please don’t hesitate to contact us. We value you as a customer and hope to serve you soon at the Golden Arches.”

Nov 11, 2020 11:25 AM in response to Krzldy1949

I'm having the exact same issue. It's almost like the app does not have an internet connection. I get the same "Application Initialization critical error occurred. Please restart the App." And "We are experiencing technical difficulties right now, please try again later." If you go into the store locator, I get "Sorry, that didn't work. Confirm your internet connection and retry. If issue continues, restart the App." Could not even set up a new account under a different email. Called support and they escalated. Got the generic email back from them stating to contact Apple as it was not our problem. Supposedly I'm getting some free food coupons in the mail for my trouble. This is NOT an Apple issue, as all other apps work on my phone. It started for me two weeks ago. I've deleted and reinstalled many times and even reset my iPhone and restored from a backup. No luck. Even updating to 14.2 during the downtime did not correct. App did update to 6.11.0 during this downtime, but that did not fix it.

Dec 6, 2020 12:16 AM in response to Krzldy1949

I have an iPhone SE 2020 and am in the same boat & have been locked out of the app. I'm getting user error messages saying there are technical difficulties and before being locked out completely. I sent a message to McDonald's through the app complaining about the glitching before it completely locked me out. I have a case # and may call them eventually, but it doesn't sound like they're doing anything about it. The # they provided me with to call is (877) 334-4332 7am-7pm CST. Don't know if it's worth your while to call or if you can get anywhere without a case #. The last time I reported an issue with the app they sent me coupons for free food. It would be nice to get the error resolved. I've removed the app, reloaded it, cleared the cache, restarted my phone. Just curious, has anyone spoken to Apple?

Dec 6, 2020 12:20 AM in response to WillHaveFriesWithThat

I’ve sent them every tiny little bit of extremely detailed and specific information they asked for more than once but it still hasn’t worked in several months. I finally broke down and created a whole new account using my son’s email address a couple days ago and it now works. I did see where Mcd’s had made a couple of recent updates to the app, but those didn’t even fix the problem. Like you, I also deleted the app multiple times and reinstalled it, etc. If I remember right, I even got a brand new phone during the time after the app stopped working. Even getting a new phone didn’t help! (Lol, and no, that isn’t the reason I upgraded to a new phone.)

Dec 10, 2020 1:22 PM in response to Krzldy1949

I spoke too soon! I got a new iPad (not a new phone) and the app seemed to be working fine on the iPad without any glitches. It didn’t last and turned out to be the same old nonsense with the iPad. I spoke to someone at McDonald’s who said it’s an issue with the iPhones and listened and said they’d pass it along to the technical team. It sounds like nothing has been resolved.

Dec 14, 2020 7:13 PM in response to Krzldy1949

I havent been able to use the app since late July 2020. I updated it one day and the next it had the error. I have an Iphone X my partner has an XR and it works fine on his. I have literally tried everything and talked on the phone with McD and they said it was a known error and they think it was because of a different app on my phone that doesn’t correspond well with theirs. Thats and odd excuse but whatever. I doubt they will ever fix it and I am noticing a trend for it having an issue on “older” iphones models more than any others. Hmmmmm... if anyone can figure it out let me know...

McDonalds app initialization critical error on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.