Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Target display not working

I have a new iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020) running Catalina 10.15.7.

I also have an old iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011) running High Sierra 10.13.6.

I want to use the old iMac as a second monitor. The 2 iMacs are connected with a Thunderbolt cable. When I press Command-F2 on the old keyboard, nothing happens.

I tried restating both iMacs and unplugging and replugging the Thunderbolt cable. I also tried login out and pressing Command-F2.

I am using the original keyboard on the old iMac. The Thunderbolt cable is from the Apple store. What is wrong? Why does nothing happen when I press Command-F2?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 27, 2020 12:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2020 12:38 PM

According to this slightly outdated Apple Support article, you will not be able to get Target Display mode to work with any Mac newer than a 2019 model. I've not found a more recent version of this article that confirms, for example your 2020 iMac, will work with your older iMac in this mode. Maybe someone else who has the same combination of iMacs will chime in and let you know one way or the other.

You can connect any of these older iMac models to another Mac from 2019 or earlier for use as an external display.

Ref: Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2020 12:38 PM in response to Covid69

According to this slightly outdated Apple Support article, you will not be able to get Target Display mode to work with any Mac newer than a 2019 model. I've not found a more recent version of this article that confirms, for example your 2020 iMac, will work with your older iMac in this mode. Maybe someone else who has the same combination of iMacs will chime in and let you know one way or the other.

You can connect any of these older iMac models to another Mac from 2019 or earlier for use as an external display.

Ref: Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Target display not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.