Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to block the use of certain (non Apple) apps from other users on my mac?

Hello community!

I'm the admin of my Mac. I'm trying to find a way of providing a user account to a family member but restricting the apps they have access to on my machine. For example, I don't want them to be able to access my professional video editing applications (I'm an editor). Honestly it's less about them using the app, and more about preventing the hassle of all these various apps loading in their session with warnings/alerts/errors etc.

How do I restrict access to apps for the other user?

It seems like prior to Catalina, this could be done using Parental Controls. But now that Apple has apparently replaced Parental Controls with Screen Time, it seems that (bizarrely) the only apps I can block are Camera, Books Store, and Siri & Dictation.

Is there a way to block any app I want from the other User on my Mac?

Thanks for the help!

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 28, 2020 4:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2020 5:18 PM

Some apps can be installed into your user account, or be moved there. Create an Applications folder inside your home and move them into that folder.

Some apps may not work correctly from there.

The built-in “OS” apps cannot be moved.

1 reply

How to block the use of certain (non Apple) apps from other users on my mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.