Block app store from being opened by Mac user

Hello everyone,

I have a Mac Air that is running Ventura 13.2.1.

I am the admin on the Mac and I have one user account for my children.

I would like to block the App Store from even being able to be opened on the children's user account. Is there a way to do this? I know I can block certain content on the App Store, but I would actually like the App Store to not even be available to the children. How can I make it more or less disappear from their view, or at least block its launch if they try to open it?

Thanks,

Vic

Posted on Nov 17, 2023 9:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2023 9:35 AM

Turn on Screen Time, setup Downtime for all day, and set App Limits, and turn off the App Store.

click here ➜ Use Screen Time on your Mac - Apple Support

Alternatively set the App Store to always require your Apple ID password for purchases in System Settings ➜ Media & Purchases ➜ App and in-app purchases, and don't give your children the passcode.

You can also remove the App Store from the Dock, by dragging it off it and letting go.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2023 9:35 AM in response to 1972lwos

Turn on Screen Time, setup Downtime for all day, and set App Limits, and turn off the App Store.

click here ➜ Use Screen Time on your Mac - Apple Support

Alternatively set the App Store to always require your Apple ID password for purchases in System Settings ➜ Media & Purchases ➜ App and in-app purchases, and don't give your children the passcode.

You can also remove the App Store from the Dock, by dragging it off it and letting go.

Jan 12, 2024 2:22 PM in response to Phil0124

Thanks for the reply.

This might be a bit pedantic, but after following the suggestions above, the App Store is blocked...but the user can still ask for 1 more minute of usage each day. I would like to allow 0 minutes. I don't want the App Store to launch at all, even for 1 minute.

Is that doable?

The thought here is that I don't want a young child to have any access in searching things that could be harmful.

Thanks,

Vic

Block app store from being opened by Mac user

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.