You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I log out of the App Store in MacOS Sonoma?

Somehow my kid's computer is signed into the Mac App Store using my Apple ID instead of their own.

An older answer suggested going to the Store menu and selecting Sign Out but this option is not present on their machine. (It is present on my machine -- both are running Sonoma 14.2.1).

On my kid's computer I can select "Account" to login to my account, but there's no option anywhere (that I can see) to sign-out.

Mac mini (M1, 2020)

Posted on Jan 25, 2024 7:29 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2024 7:47 AM

The Sign out of option should be in the Store Menu in the Mac App Store App at the very bottom.

If its not there, then the App Store is not signed into anything. You can click on Account, then on Account Settings at the top, and see if it offers to sign in to an account.

Similar questions

7 replies

Jan 25, 2024 10:50 AM in response to Colin Foster

Accounts are not created automatically.

If you have not done so, you would need to create an account for the kid.

click here ➜ Get an Apple ID for your child - Apple Support

Click on the "Account" option the the Store Menu and then on the Account Settings option at the top right of the screen. It should ask you to log in if you have not done so recently and are not logging into the computer with your Apple ID. You should be able to change the email address there to the one for the kid once the Apple ID for them is properly created.

Otherwise, is this his own user account on the computer? Who's name appears in the Apple Menu ➜ Log Out ... menu item?

Jan 25, 2024 10:27 AM in response to Phil0124

The sign-out menu item is not there but my name is in the lower left suggesting they are logged in (and they are able to update/download apps), which they couldn't do without the login.

Maybe... because the kid is under 18 they don't get their own account and are automatically locked to mine through family sharing? (Things like Music is logged in under their own Apple ID.)

Jan 25, 2024 12:46 PM in response to Phil0124

It's his account on the system, and it's his Apple ID that appears in iCloud in System Settings and in Music. Just in the App Store it shows my name.

I can login the Account area using my login but his login and password don't work. Once logged into the App Store Account area, there's still no option to logout. One can also get to the Game Centre profile after the App Store login, and the information in there is his.

I notice the icon used beside my name in the App Store (lower left) is the icon for his account profile (in iCloud and Users & Groups). Not sure why (or if relevant).

May 6, 2024 1:13 PM in response to IDJames

Sorry, could you provide a little more detail?

I've guessed that you're suggesting I (parent) on my computer, go to "Settings" in the Apple Menu, click "Family Sharing", click through to my kid's account. I don't see any "Media and Purchases" there. Attached is the closest I could find.

Similarly on my kid's computer there is no "Media and Purchases".

How do I log out of the App Store in MacOS Sonoma?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.