Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help Bouncing a Song in Sections

Hello,

I have a song which Logic can't export/bounce all at once. Everything is Bounced in Place and/or frozen but Logic doesn't accurately follow my automation nodes when I attempt to bounce the entire song at once, however if I bounce just 4 measures, Logic follows my automation nodes and it's resulting bounce sounds like what I want. I've tried very crudely exporting my song in 4 measure segments and patching them together, but there is a noticeable drop in volume when it changes regions. Apple suggested I start a new project and redo all the automation, but first I wanted to see if anybody had any suggestions of how to more easily connect 4 measure sections together (unlikely but hey it's worth asking right?). Basically, if I play the song in small segments it works great, but I can't bounce the whole thing at once and have the automation be followed. Is there a way to bounce the song in segments and then combine them? By segments I don't mean individually bounced tracks or bounced busses, but the whole mix in segments/temporal sections as defined by measures ((eg. mm.74-78)).

Thank you very much!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 28, 2020 5:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2020 12:56 PM

Thank you very much for your reply I really appreciate it. I followed the instructions and it worked however the resulting imported project ended up being unusable in my opinion since it didn't follow basically any of my automation data or mixing settings (and I didn't want to redo all of that honestly). If I ever end up releasing this song I think I'll probably just have to bounce it track by track. If I can ever figure it out I'll definitely let you know. Thank you very much again.

Edit: The reason I don't want to bounce them all track by track yet is because I'm not still done with the song. But I do think that would work although not the best solution.

Question: would it make any sense to try to resintall Logic?

Also I accidentally clicked the helpful button on my own post by mistake trying to edit it. Sorry.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2020 12:56 PM in response to jackbobley

Thank you very much for your reply I really appreciate it. I followed the instructions and it worked however the resulting imported project ended up being unusable in my opinion since it didn't follow basically any of my automation data or mixing settings (and I didn't want to redo all of that honestly). If I ever end up releasing this song I think I'll probably just have to bounce it track by track. If I can ever figure it out I'll definitely let you know. Thank you very much again.

Edit: The reason I don't want to bounce them all track by track yet is because I'm not still done with the song. But I do think that would work although not the best solution.

Question: would it make any sense to try to resintall Logic?

Also I accidentally clicked the helpful button on my own post by mistake trying to edit it. Sorry.

Oct 30, 2020 5:18 PM in response to jackbobley

Hello,

Thank you very much for your reply. I understand it's a bit of an odd question and I appreciate it.

To answer your questions:

• I don't know why bouncing the whole track won't work. I find it very odd that if I start playback in the middle of the project it works perfectly, but if I start from the beginning it doesn't. An Apple rep thinks it may be a corrupted template and he very well may he right he definitely knows more than I do, but my gut tells me that isn't it.
  • Logic follows almost all of the automation, but there are 3 significant parts of my "drop" which have volume automation at the end of a 4 bar phrase, and I have the issue I'm discussing here with the first and third part, but not the second part. I tried deleting the volume automation from "part 1" and copying over the same volume automation from part 2 (the working part), but it didn't work - also to clarify when I say delete I mean deleting the nodes within that group of measures where the problem exists, I did not delete the volume automation for the entire track. And the reason I chose 4 measures was because I was working on the automation for the end of my 4 bar phrases within the drop.

The threshold is a good question. I'm gonna keep looking at it to see if I can find out a threshold. I just, for example, went about 30-40 measures ahead of the drop and hit play and it works fine (however when I play it from the beginning which is about 60-80 measures before the drop I have this issue).

Could it be possible that I am asking Logic to automate too many things at once? (90% of my tracks are bounced in place, and the automation issue is occurring on my busses - about 10 of which are volume automated at the same time). I also went and froze all of my tracks since Apple said it may help but the issue still exists. Do you think I should try to individually bounce each bus and then reimport them?

Also I have third party plug-ins and I have processing being done on the various busses.

Thank you very much!

Oct 28, 2020 7:45 PM in response to Connor Fabiano

I have a few questions, first, why exactly won't bouncing the whole track work? Does Logic simply ignore all of the automation? Second, why 4 measures specifically? Is there a particular threshold at which the problem begins to occur?

Assuming there isn't a fix to what seems to be a bizarre glitch, my first instinct for a workaround would be to create a duplicate project in case anything goes wrong or you wish to edit the instruments further at a later time, then bounce in place every track. Specifically bounce in place instead of freezing as bouncing in place will sum the automation information whereas freezing will not. But perhaps I'm not fully understanding the problem, if that's the case please clarify.

Oct 30, 2020 8:11 PM in response to Connor Fabiano

That is quite odd. I can't say I've ever experienced a bug like that, nor do I know what's causing it, but it does seem plausible that something in the file is corrupted. I recently had a file become corrupted and this strategy helped me restore the project. It may not solve the issue, but it isn't too difficult to do and never hurts to try.

Create a new empty project, open the browser icon (in the top right, the icon with a piece of film reel, a camera and a pair of eighth notes). Select the third option "All Files" and then search for your Logic project by name. Highlight it by clicking once, and in the bottom right the option to "Import" will appear. This will create a menu listing all of your instruments, auxiliary sends, master settings such as tempo, etc. Make sure all 6 of the options above the menu are selected: Global, Audio, Inst, Aux, I/O, MIDI. The goal of this exercise is for Logic to rebuild an exact copy of your project hopefully without any corruption or glitches as seen in the original.

Go ahead and select every track, and tick every available box (Content, Plugins, Sends, etc. all of them). Once you do this click "Add" in the lower right corner. It will ask you if you want to replace or add auxiliary sends, since this is an empty project I believe adding will do just fine. Hopefully this will rebuild your project 100% correctly, but remember if it doesn't, it WILL NOT affect the original project so go ahead and delete if you would like to.

Also please note: depending on what is wrong with your project under the hood, importing may not work entirely correctly. That's ok! I recently did this and rebuilding created some sequencing and aux send issues. My way to solve this was to import the project in smaller bits and also to not allow it to import tempo information from each track, as somehow that had gotten messed up in the original project and was the cause of the sequencing issues. All that goes to say, don't stress if it doesn't rebuild exactly right, there is most likely a solution.

If you choose to try this solution and it doesn't solve the automation issues let me know, I will try and brainstorm another solution. Bouncing the busses does sound like a decent workaround although it is somewhat limiting if you are still adding to the track, plus a part of me believes you can solve the issue without a sneaky workaround.

Help Bouncing a Song in Sections

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.