Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When back up iPhones to MBP, where stored? Move to external HD?

I back up 2 iPhone to MacBook Pro. It’s storage space is getting tight. Can  I move phone backups to external hard drive?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 29, 2020 3:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2020 4:23 AM

This article warns that you should not move your Backups. It may be overly cautious, but I would no longer expect to restore from them if I moved them.

To avoid ruining any of your backup files, here's what you should know:

• The Finder and iTunes save backups to a Backup folder. The location of the Backup folder varies by operating system. Though you can copy the Backup folder, you should never move it to a different folder, external drive, or network drive.
    • Don't edit, relocate, rename, or extract content from your backup files, because these actions might ruin the files. For example, to restore from a relocated backup file, you need to move it back or the file won't work. Backups serve as a safe copy of your entire device. So while you might be able to view or access a backup file's contents, the contents usually aren't stored in a format that you can read.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2020 4:23 AM in response to ArmandoWyo

This article warns that you should not move your Backups. It may be overly cautious, but I would no longer expect to restore from them if I moved them.

To avoid ruining any of your backup files, here's what you should know:

• The Finder and iTunes save backups to a Backup folder. The location of the Backup folder varies by operating system. Though you can copy the Backup folder, you should never move it to a different folder, external drive, or network drive.
    • Don't edit, relocate, rename, or extract content from your backup files, because these actions might ruin the files. For example, to restore from a relocated backup file, you need to move it back or the file won't work. Backups serve as a safe copy of your entire device. So while you might be able to view or access a backup file's contents, the contents usually aren't stored in a format that you can read.

Oct 30, 2020 10:41 AM in response to ArmandoWyo

Anywhere I can read what's in "other"?

There are about a thousand posts, here, on that topic.

Search for “what is other”. A web search may produce better results than searching, here.

Another source of Other that often isn’t mentioned is other user accounts. If you have multiple users on the Mac, you can’t see their files, so they become “Other.”

When back up iPhones to MBP, where stored? Move to external HD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.