Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using USB-C to lightning cable for Apogee Symphony Desktop

I just got an Apogee Symphony Desktop audio interface which is a USB 2.0 device with a USB-C connector. Apogee show that it can be connected and used with an iPad via the lightning connector if you use the Apple lightning to USB Camera adapter. Is there a reason that a simple lightning to USB-C cable wouldn’t work for this, and can anyone explain why? I didn’t receive a straight answer from Apogee. Was basically told that I could try it if I wanted to see, but their testing was done via the adapter. Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer!

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 14

Posted on Oct 29, 2020 6:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2020 7:24 AM

Yes, there are good reasons why a simple cable connection won’t provide the functionality that you seek.

USB isn’t just fancy electrical connector. USB, as a technology, is a much more complex system architecture.

The USB architecture requires a USB Host Controller and Root Hub to be present on the “host” device. A simple “cable” connection does not provide these active components.

iOS/iPadOS devices with a Lightning connection do not have a built-in USB Host Controller and Root Hub. The charging cable merely provides an electrical connection between your iPad and Power Adapter. However, when connecting your iPad to a PC/Mac computer, the computer (the “host”) has the required USB Host Controller and Root Hub with which to communicate with the connected iPad/iPhone.

When using an iPad or iPhone as a host device, it is therefore necessary to add the Controller components - and this is the significance of the Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter.

The Camera Adapter is the key to connecting a Lightning equipped iPad or iPhone to other USB devices. The Adapter actively converts the proprietary Apple Lightning interface into a USB host device - and provides the USB Host Controller and Root Hub that are necessary to connect with (and control) USB accessories.

Prior to the introduction of USB-C, USB connections always had a Type-A connection for connecting the “host” device (i.e., the Host Controller) and a Type-B connector for the device being controlled (noting that Type-B connections where physically different to Type-A - and have evolved from Type-B through mini-B and micro-B).

USB-C connections (and system architecture) have again evolved. The physical connectors are now double-sided and bi-directional - and may have the same connector at both ends. Without delving into the complexities of USB-C (of which you’ll find many resources to research yourself), this is probably sufficiently adequate in context of your question.

So, to conclude, your iPad requires the addition of a USB Host Controller and Root Hub with which to communicate/control other USB devices - this functionality being provided by the Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter.

I hope this description and clarification proves to be helpful - both explaining the USB functionality and requirements in basic language.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2020 7:24 AM in response to Spilota

Yes, there are good reasons why a simple cable connection won’t provide the functionality that you seek.

USB isn’t just fancy electrical connector. USB, as a technology, is a much more complex system architecture.

The USB architecture requires a USB Host Controller and Root Hub to be present on the “host” device. A simple “cable” connection does not provide these active components.

iOS/iPadOS devices with a Lightning connection do not have a built-in USB Host Controller and Root Hub. The charging cable merely provides an electrical connection between your iPad and Power Adapter. However, when connecting your iPad to a PC/Mac computer, the computer (the “host”) has the required USB Host Controller and Root Hub with which to communicate with the connected iPad/iPhone.

When using an iPad or iPhone as a host device, it is therefore necessary to add the Controller components - and this is the significance of the Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter.

The Camera Adapter is the key to connecting a Lightning equipped iPad or iPhone to other USB devices. The Adapter actively converts the proprietary Apple Lightning interface into a USB host device - and provides the USB Host Controller and Root Hub that are necessary to connect with (and control) USB accessories.

Prior to the introduction of USB-C, USB connections always had a Type-A connection for connecting the “host” device (i.e., the Host Controller) and a Type-B connector for the device being controlled (noting that Type-B connections where physically different to Type-A - and have evolved from Type-B through mini-B and micro-B).

USB-C connections (and system architecture) have again evolved. The physical connectors are now double-sided and bi-directional - and may have the same connector at both ends. Without delving into the complexities of USB-C (of which you’ll find many resources to research yourself), this is probably sufficiently adequate in context of your question.

So, to conclude, your iPad requires the addition of a USB Host Controller and Root Hub with which to communicate/control other USB devices - this functionality being provided by the Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter.

I hope this description and clarification proves to be helpful - both explaining the USB functionality and requirements in basic language.

Oct 31, 2020 3:36 AM in response to pinkyapple62

pinkyapple62 wrote:

wrong, for the SSL2 /SSL 2 + for example, you need only the USB-C cable connection-no power supply is necessary, and even the 48V setting on the SSL 2 works-absolutely no camera kit necessary

For an iPad with a Lightning interface, the iPad lacks the USB Host Controller. By contrast, a 2018/2020 iPad Pro, or a new iPad Air4, each with a native USB-C interface, direct connection to a USB device is possible.

Nov 2, 2020 4:10 AM in response to LotusPilot

A brilliant explanation. I’m having a similar issue with my apogee jam - I already have the usb camera adapter, so I wonder

a) can I just get a USB C female to lightning adapter to plug into my iPhone, and plug the apogee into the camera adapter via the USB cable?

b) if that’s not possible, purchase the USB and USB C to lightning adapter and plug the apogee into the USB port and use the USB C plug for my headphones in via a USB C to 3.5mm jack.

many thanks!

Using USB-C to lightning cable for Apogee Symphony Desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.