Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

McAfee Removable Media Protection?

Hi all,

Running Catalina 10.15.7 on a MacBook Pro. I received a CD that I think was encrypted with McAfee File and Removable Media Protection. There are probably hundreds of pdfs encrypted on this disk, but the only thing I can see is "autorun.inf, mfecc32.dll, and MfeEERM.exe". The disk is full. I assume that if I was on a PC, MfeEERM.exe would run, I'd enter the password, and then the pdfs would appear.

Problem is I don't have access to a PC.

I don't see any McAfee app in the App Store for doing this, and McAfee's website is a jumbled hot mess of nothings. It references MacOS compatibility but never says how. Buying and and installing Windows on my Mac to run an .exe once is a non-starter.

Anyone know how to get the decrypt app running? Or did McAfee really make an "Enterprise" USB removable media encryption program that isn't cross-platform compatible?

Thanks!

MacBook

Posted on Oct 29, 2020 11:47 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Oct 30, 2020 9:04 PM in response to D0gbert

I believe that that encryption/decryption software runs under Mac OS but it's in an "enterprise" product line, e.g licensed and deployed across an enterprise, e.g. across a company with scores of PCs and Macs.

I think your best bet is to contact whoever sent you the disk with encrypted files that require custom enterprise software to access and ask them to instead send you a disk that you can read. PDF files can be very robustly encrypted with Adobe's software, and there are other inexpensive alternatives as well.

Oct 31, 2020 10:51 AM in response to steve626

Thanks Steve, that's what I'm finding as well. I received the disk from a large healthcare institution, unresponsive to my follow-up calls. I was informed that my choices are to receive another encrypted CD (same thing, McAfee encryption), or in an email attachment as one giant file (well beyond email server max). Neither are valid solutions.

Was hoping there was a McAfee tool for running just the decrypt part, but I don't see it. Tried it in a PC but got errors: "MfeEERM.exe is not a valid Win32 application".

Can't fathom why they deployed McAfee enterprise encryption designed for an internal network to share data with outside parties.

Oct 31, 2020 4:09 PM in response to D0gbert

To add another thought, exe files are DOS files which will open only on a PC. Also, I know demo experience that some healthcare organizations provide many of their files (X-rays, etc.) which must be opened by a specific program that they use. To further complicate this mess, not all of them use the same program. So I guess the first order of business is to call them and determine exactly what is on the disk and is it PDF files or something else?

Nov 12, 2020 3:36 PM in response to Ronasara

Finally resolved this on a Windows 10 machine. The .exe asked for the password which allowed access to the files for copying to a USB drive.

The process took forever and kept crashing because the CD would stop spinning during copy attempts. Finally resolved it by using an external drive and keeping it spinning by repeatedly viewing and closing the autorun.inf file on the CD with a text editor.

Hopefully this helps out others!

McAfee Removable Media Protection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.