Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

firewire 400 6 pin and firewire 1394 6 pin. same connector?

Are firewire 400 and firewire 1394 connectors interchangeable?

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Oct 30, 2020 1:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2020 6:53 PM

Hello,

If you so wish, connecting the FireWire hard drive (6-pin) to the old 15" mid-2010 MacBook Pro (9-pin, FW 800) would only require a 6-pin to 9-pin FireWire cable. With that MacBook Pro connected to the Internet, it should then be possible to upload the files to the iCloud Drive. Good luck!

13 replies

Oct 31, 2020 7:59 AM in response to larbear71

Does the Lacie hard drive enclosure (model?) have a 6-pin FireWire connector? If so, as I indicated in my previous reply, that is just another name for an IEEE 1394 6-pin connector. This means that you could connect the FireWire hard drive to a computer with FireWire 400 (6-pin) or 800 (9-pin) ports, providing that an appropriate FireWire (IEEE 1394) cable is used.

I guess that you have been using this FireWire hard drive with the OS X 10.10 MacBook Pro 13" in your profile. Based on the model (year?) and operating system, that computer would have FireWire 800.

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/index-macbookpro.html

rkaufmann87 mentioned that you would need two adapters in order to connect the hard drive to a new Mac.

Additionally, cable(s) as required.

Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter - Apple

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple

In this case, you may prefer the other method suggested by rkaufmann87 (alternatively, one could use an external USB universal bare drive adapter, similar to the example at https://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/U3NV2SPATA/).

Depending on the amount of data, and if the old MacBook Pro is still working, there may be other ways as well (such as network transfers and USB flash drives).

Oct 30, 2020 5:09 PM in response to larbear71

Well you got your answer earlier, if you are getting a new Mac then you need 2 adapters. Firewire to Thunderbolt and a Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt 3 adapter.

However, If may be easier to remove the drive from the enclosure and put it in a new enclosure that has a USB 3 connection and connect that to the new Mac. If you decide to take that route buy one of the following with HD in it and when it arrives, swap the drive and do your transfer. Then swap again and use the new EHD as backup EHD. https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/owc-mercury-elite-pro

Nov 1, 2020 5:21 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Thanks for your response! The hard drive in question is a 160GB FIreWire HD with design byF A Porsche. It does have two two 6 pin FireWire ports. I have another “0ld Timer”, 15” mid-2010 MacBook Pro that still works (barely) that has the ‘newer’ type of FireWire connector. I want to get the files, mostly photos, onto my ICloud Drive which work much more efficiently with my 2019 13” Pro If I can find an appropriate interface. Thanks again for your help. This community really works!

firewire 400 6 pin and firewire 1394 6 pin. same connector?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.