Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FireWire no longer works 10.12

Hey, does anyone know if apple will ever fix this? It doesn’t work on 10.12.6 on 2012 MBP, 2010 MBP or 2011 iMac

so I assume it FireWire 800 just stopped working and they will never fix it?

iMac 21.5″, 10.12

Posted on Feb 14, 2021 9:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2021 12:48 PM

I think you might be trying to use the adapters backwards. The Apple Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter, for example, is only designed to provide an Ethernet output from a Mac with a Thunderbolt port, not to provide a Thunderbolt port on a Mac with an ethernet port.

12 replies

Feb 14, 2021 9:34 AM in response to flytalker

Oh it works. I use it on High Sierra 10.13 on my iMac 11,3. It is possible your PRAM battery/capacitor has expired and is creating peripheral issues. Take it in for service. You can test the Firewire drive, also by putting the machine in Target Disk Mode to ensure the problem isn't the Firewire ports themselves. Target Disk Mode means holding the 'T' key at startup.

Feb 14, 2021 11:27 AM in response to a brody

I can use it in target disc mode… To be honest I don’t have a FireWire 800 External anything... but I can also use it in bridge mode…

But neither my ethernet to thunderbolt 2 or my firewire 800 to thunderbolt 2 adapters work when they’re going to external thunderbolt devices… Thunderbolt hard drive specifically

So I guess that’s more of the issue

So I guess it works as a standalone FireWire 800 to a hard drive… I guess I should post a new thread but if anyone has any insight on this issue let me know know

Feb 14, 2021 4:53 PM in response to flytalker

Ah...Thunderbolt is another issue.

It may be the drive in question has insufficient power to operate. Remember a lot of devices need their own power.

If the device can get its own AC power externally that may solve problems.

If you are using it after you closed the lid or put the machine to sleep, the "put hard drive to sleep when possible" in the Energy Saver settings could be messing it up in the System Preferences, or it could just be a power issue when it goes to sleep.

See if shutting down and completely starting back up the machine whiled plugged into the mains solves it.

Feb 15, 2021 9:17 AM in response to a brody

I’ve tried three separate drives and target desk mode… Ethernet to thunderbolt 2 adapter and firewire 800 to thunderbolt adapter... do not work on Mac High Sierra 10.12 ... On my 2012 MacBook Pro… 2010 MacBook Pro… And 2011iMac...

The most frustrating part is I just bought the adapters … they didn’t work on High Sierra either… I rolled back to Sierra and reinstalled a bunch of my stuff for this and other compatibility issues between the machines… And they didn’t work there either... in 10.12.6 at least ...

The adapters just do not work… in the latest version (I had) of High Sierra… And the current-latest version of Sierra ... And I JUST bought them

Basically Apple continues to sell adapters that they make obsolete through software updates

With all the troubleshooting I’ve done I would be astounded if someone told me they had either of these adapters working on a 2012 MacBook Pro … Or other machines I’ve mentioned… 10.12.6… I’ve done what I think is any troubleshooting anyone could think of… At this point I would be astounded if I hadn’t tried something someone might suggest

the other frustrating part is they used to work in some capacity for previous versions of the same operating system/s… Which makes it seem like they want people with obsolete Macs to buy new Macs... there’s so many things Apple does to force you to buy a new computer… But this one is pretty egregious… Because I just bought these adapters ... An apple is still running software updates for these operating systems……either stop selling these adapters or tell people exactly where/when they will stop working for no apparent reason. This happened before my 2012 MacBook Pro was obsolete... I think it is now ... It’s incredibly frustrating... These machines are still very powerful… Particularly that iMac and the 2012 MacBook Pro… They are incredibly powerful machines… Maxed out in every possible way with SSD drives in raid 0 - They would still be faster then plenty of the intel macs that are being sold as a new right now

Another frustrating thing and then I will and the rant… Is I could’ve bought a new computer at the end of last year and wrote it off on my taxes… But I didn’t… Because I don’t like being forced to buy things that aren’t necessary … And I don’t want to be wasteful…So it’s wildly insanely frustrating that all of these computers are beings stripped of functionality

Feb 15, 2021 5:30 PM in response to a brody

I’m saying the FireWire cable does work in 10.12.6 when one Mac is in target disk on any 3 machines, both directions... in 10.12... I’m not using any of the computers permanently in target disk…

I don’t have a FireWire 800 hard drive so I wouldn’t be able to test that, I imagine it would work because target desk works…… 2 thunderbolt drives I’ve tested it on are powered yes…Ethernet to thunderbolt adapter also does not work in target disk mode… Basically both adapters that I just bought are not functional on any three of these computers in 10.12.6

Feb 19, 2021 10:03 AM in response to a brody

Thanks for getting back, this is something I haven't tried or thought about - the adapters are not working on all 3 machines... but firewire/ethernet/thunderbolt are both working on all (2010MBP = No thunderbolt)

But all machines are old so I wouldn't rule this out. especially if you're saying these adapters require additional power they're not getting from either the ethernet port or firewire port

I'd be VERY curious if anyone had these adapters working on 10.12.6 though

Thanks though... hadn't considered this.

FireWire no longer works 10.12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.