Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost Music But Still on iPod (with added difficulty)

Changed from Mac back to PC about 8-months ago and while transferring my files across, using an external hard drive, the drive crashed fatally and I lost about 15 years worth of music, films, and photos I had accumulated. I had an epiphany last night lying in bed when I realised I had an old iPod that contained all my music and that I could somehow salvage that.

I got up early this morning and eagerly read the forum and tried to use the steps given in another post to transfer the music from my iPod to my PC, but as I had been using a Mac previously, there seems to be at least a couple of extra obstacles in the way. It wont let me use the evice as mass storage as it wants me to format it, and on iTunes its telling me to restore iPod.

I really hope someone on here is clever enough to talk me through this. It would definitely soften the blow of losing everything.

Posted on Oct 31, 2020 12:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2020 4:49 AM

If I connect my iPod 5th Gen to my Linux-Box I can access the internal HD with folder "iPod_Control/Music" with tons of mp3 and m4a. From there it might be "a little amount of work" but doable to copy everything to another location.

If you don't have access to a linux box download a bootable medium for e.g. Ubuntu and start your PC with that.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2020 4:49 AM in response to dpflannagan

If I connect my iPod 5th Gen to my Linux-Box I can access the internal HD with folder "iPod_Control/Music" with tons of mp3 and m4a. From there it might be "a little amount of work" but doable to copy everything to another location.

If you don't have access to a linux box download a bootable medium for e.g. Ubuntu and start your PC with that.

Lost Music But Still on iPod (with added difficulty)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.