Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airdrop is not working on macOS 10.15.7

Hi Guys,

I am unable to airdrop anything from my iPhone to my macbook pro! Does any one know what seems to be a problem. I am successfully able to airdrop from my macbook pro to my iPhone Xs.

I have no clue why it is happening!

I have tried everything on the Macbook Pro settings to sort of allow everyone to air drop etc. But nothing seems to work. Do you know if there is a setting which is preventing me from doing this ?

Regards,

Shrey

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 31, 2020 2:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2020 5:56 AM

Hey!

Thanks so much for reaching out to me. Basically I have two Macbook Pro's in my house one being 2013 model and the other being 2019 model. Both of them were called as "Shreyas's Macbook Pro"

I think somehow for my network, the hostname for both the machines turned out to be same. Usually I disable the WiFi on my older macbook. But for the past few days it was also ON.

Hence the problem started that I couldn't Air Drop :)

I renamed my second macbook as something else and then it started to work as a charm

Thanks again for the reply. I should have closed this loop, but i just got lost somewhere! :)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2020 5:56 AM in response to karina184

Hey!

Thanks so much for reaching out to me. Basically I have two Macbook Pro's in my house one being 2013 model and the other being 2019 model. Both of them were called as "Shreyas's Macbook Pro"

I think somehow for my network, the hostname for both the machines turned out to be same. Usually I disable the WiFi on my older macbook. But for the past few days it was also ON.

Hence the problem started that I couldn't Air Drop :)

I renamed my second macbook as something else and then it started to work as a charm

Thanks again for the reply. I should have closed this loop, but i just got lost somewhere! :)

Nov 4, 2020 5:43 AM in response to Shreyas Ravindra

Hi Shreyas,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're having trouble receiving the Airdrop on your MacBook Pro, but can receive them on your iPhone, correct? If so, we can help. Let's start by going over the settings on the MacBook Pro for receiving to make certain everything is correct there. Please check out the link we've provided below, then let us know how it goes.

Use AirDrop on your Mac

Please let us know if you have any additional questions. We're always happy to help.

Cheers!

Airdrop is not working on macOS 10.15.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.