Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Device hot and battery draining on charger

This morning I woke up to my 12 pro being pretty hot and even though it was still on the MagSafe charger it had somehow drained from 100% to 89% in the last 30 minutes despite me not using it at all.

I also noticed at some point in the past couple days the phone just got very hot during use and lost 10% battery in around 10 minutes. In both scenarios there’s no demanding usage by an app so I’m not sure what’s going on?

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 31, 2020 9:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2020 9:23 AM

Hi Nov4cane,

Thank you for contacting Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it seems like the battery life is being used while the iPhone is not being used and the iPhone is getting hot. There are a couple things you can try that may be able to help. Take a look at the "Tips for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch" section.

"Dim the screen or turn on Auto-Brightness to extend battery life.

• To dim, open Control Center and drag the Brightness slider to the bottom.
  • Auto-Brightness adjusts your screen to lighting conditions automatically. To activate it, go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations and set Auto-Brightness to On."

• "You can optimize your battery life by turning off Location Services for the app. Turn off in Settings > Privacy > Location Services.
  • In Location Services, you can see each app listed with its permission setting. Apps that recently used location services have an indicator next to the on/off switch."

Maximizing Battery Life and Lifespan

Keeping iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch within acceptable operating temperatures

Please don't hesitate to let us know if the steps resolved your issue or if you need additional assistance.

Cheers.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2020 9:23 AM in response to Nov4cane

Hi Nov4cane,

Thank you for contacting Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it seems like the battery life is being used while the iPhone is not being used and the iPhone is getting hot. There are a couple things you can try that may be able to help. Take a look at the "Tips for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch" section.

"Dim the screen or turn on Auto-Brightness to extend battery life.

• To dim, open Control Center and drag the Brightness slider to the bottom.
  • Auto-Brightness adjusts your screen to lighting conditions automatically. To activate it, go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations and set Auto-Brightness to On."

• "You can optimize your battery life by turning off Location Services for the app. Turn off in Settings > Privacy > Location Services.
  • In Location Services, you can see each app listed with its permission setting. Apps that recently used location services have an indicator next to the on/off switch."

Maximizing Battery Life and Lifespan

Keeping iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch within acceptable operating temperatures

Please don't hesitate to let us know if the steps resolved your issue or if you need additional assistance.

Cheers.

Nov 19, 2020 3:11 AM in response to Nov4cane

I noticed the same thing. Had it charging via MagSafe and then I decided to swipe down to check my percentage, and to my surprise I saw it actually decreasing (Over the span of about 20 minutes). My guess is its the phone trying to "optimize" the battery by letting it drain to 80% because of the heat MagSafe can generate.

Not 100% sure on this but that's my best idea of what's happening.

Jan 5, 2021 8:15 AM in response to Smcrg

I just went through the same thing with my iPhone 12. My battery was draining rapidly and my MagSafe charger wasn’t charging my phone. I went through a 2 month long process with apple support, they ran through so many diagnostics, had me reset my phone, sent me a new phone, & nothing was working. Until I finally factory reset my phone, log into my iCloud account but did not upload any backups so I basically had to lose any data or apps that was not saved to the cloud and just start over. It has definitely helped so far but I have never gotten an answer as to what caused the issue and why all my other iPhones never had this issue but suddenly with this new iPhone I had to start over from scratch.

Mar 30, 2021 12:12 AM in response to Nov4cane

I'm having the same issue. Connect to MagSafe charger, battery draining instead of charging.

I'm with iPhone 12, MagSafe charger, MacBook Air power adapter (30W). tried another power adapter (18W) also the same issue.

I had my Qi wireless charging to the same iPhone 12, the wireless charging is working even with a slow charge rate (~3W).

I thought MagSafe give me a good charging rate but it just turn me upside down!

Anyone kind to share the solution other that the hard factory reset?

Device hot and battery draining on charger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.