Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hearing aid compatibility

Using Oticon made for iphone hearing aids with new iPhone 12 . Very loud static when streaming. Was not an issue with old se phone. From hearing aid blogs the is a new problem with all brands of aids with iPhone 12. Help.

iPhone 12, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 31, 2020 1:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 11:48 AM

changw wrote: "I'm wondering the fix would likely come from Apple or hearing aid manufacturers..."

"Apple is aware of this issue and will provide a fix in a future software update." Source:

If your Made for iPhone hearing device has sound quality issues when connected to an iPhone 12 model

õ¿õ¬

18 replies

Nov 14, 2020 5:19 AM in response to GrandmaP13

GrandmaP ~

"I have been in contact with Apple and they said they are getting closer to a fix. Until then I was told to go into settings - accessibility - Hearing Devices - top item, MFI hearing devices - Uncheck “Stream to left hearing device”. Do this until we get an update fix. I have not had the static noise since I did this. You will only hear with your right hearing aid until it is fixed." [Source]

õ¿õ¬

Nov 14, 2020 1:42 PM in response to GrandmaP13

Hi GrandmaP13,

Thank you for sharing feedback about your current experience. There’s a recently updated Apple article related to what you are describing and states "Apple is aware of this issue and will provide a fix in a future software update."

If your Made for iPhone hearing device has sound quality issues when connected to an iPhone 12 model

Thank you!

Nov 8, 2020 5:44 AM in response to GrandmaP13

My Apple 12 phone does not work properly with my Signia hearing aids. They worked fine on my Apple XR phone. I get static and white noise at intermittent times-typically when I touch something on the phone it will trigger the loud noise and it continues for 5 seconds or longer. Typically touching something to change context on the phone will stop it. This happens several times a day. I have replaced the hearing aids, I have tested them on another iPhone XR, I have reloaded the app, restarted the phone and it persists only on iPhone12. How can I replace my iPhone 12 with a version that works?

Nov 14, 2020 12:41 AM in response to GrandmaP13

My Rexton Costco 8.0 hearing aids are a mess with my new 12 Pro Max. A horribly loud static will plague one hearing aid or the other.

Seems to hit randomly during game play (WWF), scrolling through Facebook, or anywhere else.

I’ve uninstalled my Smart Direct app several times, went in to settings and “Forget Device” multiple times with no effect.

I even shut off all my other IPhones and IPads to see if they were doing anything odd, but no change.

The static is loud enough that my wife can hear it coming through my hearing aid across the room.

I shut my iPhone 12 down and restarted my iPhone 7 and everything worked as normal.

Frustrating..,

Nov 14, 2020 9:43 AM in response to Retrojeep

Retrojeep's experience mirrors mine almost exactly, except my iPhone is the 12 Pro, not the Max, and my Rexton Costco is the MCore, which is a later model of the same hearing aid, I believe. Also, I was not having this issue with my prior iPhone 7 plus. Interesting that we went in opposite directions on the Plus/Max!

Sure hope Apple gets this issue fixed soon, as it is irritating (or should that be ear-itating!).

Dec 27, 2020 4:24 PM in response to Miss_Mish

I have Signia and my issue is when I’m NOT streaming. Whenever there’s a constant noise (car, microwave, vacuum) the noise goes up and down, like waves. I’ve been trying to fix it with the HA professional until I realized the noise happened only when the HA was connected to the iPhone. I disconnected my HA from the iPhone and it stopped. Reading this it looks like it actually STARTED after the last update!

Hearing aid compatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.