Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

[iPhone 12 Pro] silent mode not working properly

I mostly have my iPhone 12 Pro in silent mode (ring/silent switch showing red). However, after some time, the phone starts giving me sound alerts. To make it to silent mode again, I have to turn the switch to ring mode and then to silent mode again. Does this have to do with Do Not Disturb setup or is my phone defective?

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 2, 2020 12:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2020 6:27 PM

Hello sterling r, thanks for your reply!

I actually found why the phone was doing it. When I first got it, I tweaked the back tap function so that two back taps turns silent mode on/off, and then forgot that I made that change. So now that I changed the back tap setting, it doesn't turn off/on silent mode on its own. Thanks again!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2020 6:27 PM in response to sterling r

Hello sterling r, thanks for your reply!

I actually found why the phone was doing it. When I first got it, I tweaked the back tap function so that two back taps turns silent mode on/off, and then forgot that I made that change. So now that I changed the back tap setting, it doesn't turn off/on silent mode on its own. Thanks again!

Nov 6, 2020 11:58 AM in response to ladymariee

Hi there ladymariee,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like your ring/silent switch isn't working properly. Do all of your sound notifications start working after a certain period of time, or does it seem like only some sounds still work, like your camera shutter or music volume? Do you use a case on the iPhone? If you remove the case does this issue stop happening? Have you checked if the iPhone has debris in the switch? Try cleaning the iPhone using these steps: Cleaning your iPhone.

We hope this helps!

[iPhone 12 Pro] silent mode not working properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.