Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Available Updates have Changed" lead to failure to install an Update in App Store

Hello:

I upgraded my Mac (21.5 inch Mid-2011) from El Capitan (10.11.6) to High Sierra (10.13) last week. Since then 4 updates have been automatically downloaded (2 iTunes and one Safari, 1- Garage Band) to the AppStore and I successfully installed them. The OSX shows as 10.13.6 in the About this Mac There is now 1 Update Available in the AppStore, showing as a Software Update (restart required) named "Security Update 2020-005 10.13.6".

Here's the problem: when I click on Update or Update All, a window pops open saying "Restarting Your Computer Your computer will restart in XX seconds to install updates" The clock counts down and when time expires a new window appears titled "Available updates have changed" and the only options are either Cancel or Show details. Show details takes me back to the update page, and then when I try to update, this same cycle repeats. I've Restarted the computer and then tried to update to no avail.

I see on the Apple Security Updates page: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201222 there is a hypertext link to an update released on 24 Sep 20 for this Security Update 2020-005 10.13.6.

Is there a way to install this Security Update to this Mac?

Thank you for whatever light you can shed on this problem.

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Nov 2, 2020 10:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2020 2:28 AM

Please verify if thee is enough Empty Space on the drive before attempting the update. There needs to be 20+ GB if empty space for the update to successfully install. Try downloading via Safari the standalone update Security Update 2020 - 05. Once fully download, restart computer in Safe Mode ( SHIFT key ) immediately at startup . It will load slowly so be patient. Once loaded run the Installer from Downloads folder

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2020 2:28 AM in response to Euker

Please verify if thee is enough Empty Space on the drive before attempting the update. There needs to be 20+ GB if empty space for the update to successfully install. Try downloading via Safari the standalone update Security Update 2020 - 05. Once fully download, restart computer in Safe Mode ( SHIFT key ) immediately at startup . It will load slowly so be patient. Once loaded run the Installer from Downloads folder

Nov 22, 2020 1:41 PM in response to PRP_53

Thank you R. Phillips for taking the time to share your knowledge. Your directions worked. I appreciate you forewarning about the slowness in opening in Safe Mode. It did take a while and I had to hold down the SHIFT key a long while until I finally saw the login window.

After that, I went to the Downloads folder and clicked on the Installer pkg for the Security Update to start the install. That too took several minutes before a window advised that I had to restart the computer to complete the installation. The computer shut down, I waited about 30 seconds then turned it back on. At this point, the installation continued and also took more time. The screen went black a couple of times, saw different looking progress bars, sometimes there were notices of time remaining, sometimes not. The whole process took about 40 minutes. Had you not warned me to be patient, I would have been concerned.

If anyone else goes through this process (Security Update 2020-005 HighSierra), just know you may need to allow a block of time to do it.

One more question. Should I follow this same process for subsequent Security updates? I notice there is now a Security update available for 2020-006 10.13.6?

Thanks again!

Nov 22, 2020 1:48 PM in response to Euker

I personally, did the same process again on the Security Update 2020-06. Download the Standalone Installer. Reboot in Safe Mode and then ran the Installer. All done on an old MacMini 2011 with aftermarket 500 GD SSD and upgraded RAM to 8 GB. Works like a charm, too bad it can not run anything higher than High Sierra.

Good luck and keep on computing

"Available Updates have Changed" lead to failure to install an Update in App Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.