Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi, Im looking to buy additional RAM for this mac book pro. Does Apple sell it? Who sells it?

Hi, Im looking to buy additional RAM for a mac book pro. Does Apple sell it? Who sells it?

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,2

Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 3 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 4 GB

Boot ROM Version: 233.0.0.0.0

SMC Version (system): 2.2f44

Serial Number (system): C0*****TY3

Hardware UUID: 01421FE9-56AE-57F5-90BA-230A85F92FC5

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Nov 3, 2020 11:16 AM

8 replies

Nov 3, 2020 11:31 AM in response to Bluefish24

You have the last model where RAM can be installed easily - and, if you have the original slow 5400 rpm hard drive, you can also replace that with an SSD (don't forget to get a new cable for it as they tend to break when replacing drives). Here are install instructions from a recommended vendor where you can also buy the correct RAM

https://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbookpro-13-unibody-mid12/

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade/DDR3_1600MHz_SDRAM

Nov 3, 2020 11:42 AM in response to Bluefish24

Babowa's recommendations are first-rate. Apple does not sell RAM upgrades. I will only buy RAM from Other World Computing (OWC) or Crucial.com after seeing so many sad posts here about problems with auction RAM and bargain or "value" RAM.

I have the same computer upgraded to 8GB RAM about five years ago using OWC RAM. Zero issues.

If you are wanting speed, you have to do the solid state drive. I upgraded mine to SSD and, in this data, you can see that doubling RAM did not speed up what was slow— the launching of big apps--but changing to the SSD made a huge difference:

Base system as shipped:

4GB RAM and slow SATA 3GBps 5400rpm hard drive: Office and Photoshop Elements took 15-18 seconds to be ready to use.

First upgrade, double the RAM:

8GB RAM and slow SATA 3GBps 5400rpm hard drive: Office and Photoshop Elements took 15-18 seconds to be ready to use.

Second upgrade, inexpensive solid-state drive

8GB RAM and fast SATA 6GBps SSD: Office and Photoshop Elements take under 4 seconds to be ready to use.

Nov 4, 2020 4:24 AM in response to Allan Jones

Hi, My computer takes DDR3 memory. The Other World Computing offering is only for "DDR3L". Im researching if that is compatible.

-The current processor Is 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7.

-The 8 GB DDR3L is designed for Intel 4th generation processorsHow do I know that my processor will accept that DDR3L RAM?

I appreciate your help and I'm trying to not make a mistake.

Hi, Im looking to buy additional RAM for this mac book pro. Does Apple sell it? Who sells it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.