Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Group texts to groups including Android phones not longer sending after iOS 14.1 upgrade?

It looks like there is another post in March that was inactivated on this issue (230+ users that marked "I have this question too"), but it was with a previous iOS. I have a couple of groups that include both iPhone and Android users. No problems until after the latest OS update (14.1). We texted successfully through Halloween. Now every text I attempt to send on either my iPhone Xs, iPad mini or MacBook Pro (Mac OS 10.14.6) advances the progress bar quickly over to about 90-95% then freezes for quite a while before producing the exclamation mark and the "Not Delivered" message. I made no changes in my carrier (AT&T) nor did I make any changes to the Messages settings (iMessage, Text Forwarding, Send as SMS, MMS Messaging and Group Messaging are all still on). Of note, the two other iPhone users (one SE 2nd Gen (14.1) and the other a 1st Gen SE (14.1)) also can now no longer send/receive to that group BUT the Android user is able to do so.

I can message the Android individual directly without issue. Android user claims no changes made to the Android phone.

Anyone else having this problem and/or know solutions? I've tried deleting and starting a new conversation, turning above settings off then back on and restarting my phone in various sequences to no avail. Wasn't hopeful since all all iPhones are having the problem...

Thanks all!

(I've already reviewed the following posts:)

https://support.apple.com/guide/messages/send-group-messages-icht3268ad23/12.0/mac/10.14

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202724

Also searched in AT&T forum without success.

iPhone XS, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 4, 2020 1:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2021 3:18 PM

Same issue, but I might be able to share some context on the carrier vs. iOS vs. device vs. WiFi combinations. I have one sister (Apple iPhone SE iOS 14.4 - AT&T) in my house in Texas, and another sister (Android T-Mobile) in Oregon. I have an iPhone XR, iOS 14.4 with Sprint (technically T-Mobile following their merger, but still with a Sprint SIM card).

Either I or Apple sister (in my house on the same WiFi, different carriers) intermittently receive group texts from Android sister in Oregon. Yesterday, on the same WiFi, I received a group text from Android sister, but Apple sister did not. Apple sister and I also have intermittent failures with group texts from Android sister on iMessage (on our macs). Usually iMessage issues are send failures, but iPhone issues are receive failures. Apple sister is unable to send pictures to the group text, but I am. We’ve verified (several times) that our iMessage, SMS, MMS, and Group Text system settings are identical.

As others have experienced, all of us have no issues one-on-one, only problems with group texts. Very frustrating. ☹️

Similar questions

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2021 3:18 PM in response to EMH_OK

Same issue, but I might be able to share some context on the carrier vs. iOS vs. device vs. WiFi combinations. I have one sister (Apple iPhone SE iOS 14.4 - AT&T) in my house in Texas, and another sister (Android T-Mobile) in Oregon. I have an iPhone XR, iOS 14.4 with Sprint (technically T-Mobile following their merger, but still with a Sprint SIM card).

Either I or Apple sister (in my house on the same WiFi, different carriers) intermittently receive group texts from Android sister in Oregon. Yesterday, on the same WiFi, I received a group text from Android sister, but Apple sister did not. Apple sister and I also have intermittent failures with group texts from Android sister on iMessage (on our macs). Usually iMessage issues are send failures, but iPhone issues are receive failures. Apple sister is unable to send pictures to the group text, but I am. We’ve verified (several times) that our iMessage, SMS, MMS, and Group Text system settings are identical.

As others have experienced, all of us have no issues one-on-one, only problems with group texts. Very frustrating. ☹️

Jan 14, 2021 7:43 AM in response to EMH_OK

I have the same issue. I’m not even trying to send pictures. It’s driving me crazy and it seems to be an ongoing issue. I have the latest update, have done all the troubleshooting, and both AT&T and Apple are pointing at each other. I have to say that I believe it’s an Apple issue because there are people having it with other carriers as well. It’s really frustrating.

Mar 28, 2021 7:56 AM in response to EMH_OK

I haven't weighed in on this in a while. I got real frustrated with it again this week and started trying things again. I don't know if this is a solution, but it certainly took care of the problem acutely. I have two MBP's that both are setup for Messages. I opened the preferences for Messages in each and deactivated every address except for the phone number and rebooted each MBP. I then re-opened Messages and selected my primary Apple ID email on each and closed/opened the application. Everything (texts more than 4 lines, images and links) started going through to all parties on the group thereafter. Don't know how long it will work, but it seems to have cleared things up for me for at least 24 hours or so, so afar. Good luck!

Nov 9, 2020 9:17 AM in response to EMH_OK

Hi Monty,

It seems you're having trouble sending MMS group messages and we want to help.

All of these messages run through your carrier service and require a strong data connection to send at all times.

You can also try these steps:

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If you continue to have trouble, you'll want to contact AT&T since they handle using and delivering MMS. If you message an individual, make sure you send them and MMS picture message to test sending the same sorts of messages.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Nov 10, 2020 6:54 AM in response to Nicholas_B2

Thanks, Nicholas. I had actually previoulsy tried everything listed in the troubleshooting link provided (except contact AT&T) to no avail (but I think it is a very useful and timely document). I will contact AT&T. It is very puzzling, however, that all three iPhones in the group can send and receive individual texts (using data) directly from the Android phone. Of course, the group text works when all 4 phones are on the same wifi as well. I have heard rumblings that a defective SIM may be contributory. May explore that as well (for the Android phone).

Nov 30, 2020 12:40 PM in response to Nicholas_B2

Hi Nicholas,

I'm having the same problem but with Sprint. My texts sometimes go through now, but I can't receive texts if the group includes an Android user, even if the text is sent by an iPhone user in the group. I spoke to a Sprint rep and she said it was a problem with iOS 14 and that Apple is working to address it. Do you have an estimate re: when you'll have a fix?

Thanks!

Jan 29, 2021 4:06 PM in response to EMH_OK

I had this same issue with an older iOS version. I could individually message another iPhone; group of iPhones; individual Android; but not a group that included an Android. Because MMS to an individual Android worked, Apple Support pointed to my carrier (not AT&T) to resolve. My carrier sent a replacement SIM to me and that fixed the group MMS issue to Androids.

Jan 29, 2021 5:17 PM in response to JJL010

Thanks, JJL.

I have heard that a SIMM replacement (either iPhone or Android) may fix the problem and glad it worked for you. We are also all 4 on AT&T (even same plan). All three iPhones cannot send successfully (when one does not, all do not). I think we may go the route of having our Android family member change his first to see if the problem subsides.

Mar 5, 2021 4:55 PM in response to BartoloTX

iPhone XS Max. At&T provider.

I also am now having this problem on group texts that involve non-iphones. I can individually text with android phones fine. I can group text other iPhones fine. But group text that includes both iPhone & Androids is a problem. I receive those group texts fine. However, my group texts there are all "not delivered" after that green bar doesn't finish.

I have deleted the entire group text conversation. I have I have gotten rid of the "send as SMS", and I was able to successfully send 1 group text message as a text, before being "not delivered" immediately thereafter again. That was weird. Also tried to get rid of the "MMS messaging". That didn't help.

Did anybody find a solution? Was it a faulty Sim card? That seems like a too specific fault for that.

Mar 7, 2021 7:53 AM in response to chadwick263

I am in Sprint and experience the same problem across 7 apple devices. Two are MBPs and the rest are iPhone 11s.

I solely rely on internet for communication because I live where there is only 1 unreliable cell tower. iMessage is broken for group chat across carriers.

if it is not fixed I’ll be forced to dump apple, which at this point is not a big deal to me. That’s unfortunate.

Mar 26, 2021 12:42 PM in response to EMH_OK

I use group texting to check on the welfare of a dozen people, mixed iPhone and Android users. I have an iPhone 7 plus, carrier is T-Mobile. Have had this phone and carrier for the past 5 years. About 2 weeks ago (just before upgrading to 14.4.1) not everyone was receiving my texts. If someone did receive it and replied then the group would receive their reply even though they never received my original text. There seems to be no pattern to who receives the original message, not just Apple users receiving but always a mix of users. I now have to send daily individual texts to each person. I have chatted with Apple and have a case number but what they told me to do as well as what I have tried from other posts has been to no avail. From what I have read in these forums this has been going on since at least November of 2020. This is extremely frustrating and quite honestly if the issue isn't fixed with the 14.4.2 upgrade that I'm about to install, Apple is going to lose my business. I know, big whoop, but there doesn't seem to be any alternative.

Mar 28, 2021 5:48 AM in response to Chris5X

Chris5x, I feel your pain. I thought maybe I narrowed down the problem to my networking gear not playing nicely but the problem remains. I don’t seem to have a problem when I’m out on 5G but when I’m home I solely rely on WiFi/internet with Spectrum. I’ve considered asking them if they know what’s up. I should add that I don’t have any cell towers where I live so internet is all I can do.

Mar 28, 2021 9:26 AM in response to Private-apple-user

Don't understand and can't explain why it (at least appears that it) works. But all those addresses were also selected (Send/Receive) on my phone. I did not bother to change those settings though. So all three of my devices also had iCloud/email addresses selected in addition to the phone number. I only de-activated them from the MacOS devices, but that seemed to work. Can't say which address was possibly the culprit since I removed 3 at once. If I find I need to add any of them back and they affect my ability to text to mixed groups I'll provide an update. In the meantime, it is a relief to be able to converse as a family again. I offer it as a possible solution for others to try. Maybe those with greater expertise can explain why it works or whether it is just an illusion.

Group texts to groups including Android phones not longer sending after iOS 14.1 upgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.