Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Game Center Chess Invites Not Working (10.14.6 and 10.15.7 and latest iOS devices)

We've been trying to play a chess game through Apple's built in chess app and Game Center. Both of us are signed into GameCenter and can see each other as players we've played in the past. However, whenever an invite is sent through the Chess app Game Center invite it shows up as an iCloud link in iMessage and opens System Preferences rather than Chess.

On the sending computer, the chess app also begins a Game Center chess game not associated with the invited person as soon as the invitation is sent. It reverts back to a random opponent.

And yes, we've done troubleshooting on Apple products since the Performa Era, so PLEASE don't ask us to do the "simple" fixes.

And, this is a common problem... And Jeremy, please don't reply to this because you obviously don't have anything useful to add (RE: providing links to Apple regarding "Log out, sleep, restart, and shut down" and "How to use safe mode on your Mac". Less than useless advice since it doesn't answer the question, and it definitely doesn't provide useful help. If we all have to restart our computer to play chess, well... you just don't understand. And if we all have to play chess with safe mode, well... you just don't understand.

This is definitely a bug or problem at the system level with MacOS. Could be something simple like prefs, (more likely it is a server problem with iCloud) or whatever, but none of us have all day to debug this problem...

Just wondering if any real person at Apple would have a real and rational solution.

Appreciatively,

Me

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 4, 2020 1:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 12:19 PM

Today I was able to test with a second macbook pro with big sur 11.0.1 installed on it.

Inviting worked as previously, it seems to be an issue between several versions.

I will not follow up with support, because I do not need anything else.

At least this is a work around, if your mac is updateble to big sur.

Still, not as apple like as we are used to.

Good luck!

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2020 12:19 PM in response to arsenal6

Today I was able to test with a second macbook pro with big sur 11.0.1 installed on it.

Inviting worked as previously, it seems to be an issue between several versions.

I will not follow up with support, because I do not need anything else.

At least this is a work around, if your mac is updateble to big sur.

Still, not as apple like as we are used to.

Good luck!

Nov 25, 2020 1:06 AM in response to arsenal6

I have no resolution yet, even that my appoach sounded promising. Apple Support 2nd tier was checking this issue, but it seems decided not to escalate to development until I make a further test - to know if the problem exist if both parties playing chess run OS Version Big Sur. Currently I cannot do this test now, probably in a few weeks. I assume this question has something to do with access to the development team and priority of a bug. I realized this chess problem is an edge problem apple support has problems to address.

So still no solution. If you receive news, I would be happy to know.

Dec 6, 2020 1:36 AM in response to I-Robot

I cannot play Chess between Big Sur and older Mac OS version. I invite via iMessage and the link doesn't open the chess, but prompts me to open a new internet account on my Mac. This issue happens on both ways: when I invite from Big Sur and when I receive the invite from Mac OS 10.

The chess invite on iMessage looks like a sharing file... Strange

MacOS Game Center Chess Invites Not Working (10.14.6 and 10.15.7 and latest iOS devices)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.