Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro’s odd behavior

Hi everyone,

could someone please help with some odd behavior I’ve noticed for the last few months. I have a MacBook Pro 15” mid 2014 and am running Big Sur Ver 11.3.1. Over the last few months I’ve had issues receiving my app and system notifications, I have to frequently reset the SMC, and it seems to be working hard at odd times (when few programs are open). I know my system is not the newest but I’ve never had any issues with it before. Also these seem issues seem off the oddest of them all is I got an alert or notification a few days ago I was sharing the screen. It is supposedly set up to not share. At any rate, I’m a concerned about what could be happening and wanted to see if anyone could offer advice, insights, or help?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 17, 2021 2:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2021 4:27 PM

Delete NordVPN, unless you really need it.

Otherwise, there is nothing wrong with your Mac. Please Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support and let me know what the reference code is.

Cheers,

Jack

Similar questions

5 replies

May 17, 2021 2:27 PM in response to WatershipDown17

Hi WatershipDown17,

I believe we need to proceed with an EtreCheck report. EtreCheck is a useful App to diagnose and identify issues, both hardware and software. It is trusted by many users. Please follow the steps outlined below:

1. Navigate to: https://etrecheck.com and get the free version of EtreCheckPro.
  2. Download it. It is a free and trusted app. It is often recommended here on Apple Support Communities. 
  3. Open EtreCheck, and before running the report, be sure to check “Allow full Drive Access” at the bottom of the EtreCheckPro window.
  4. Run the report, and put it in a post, as seen here: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211. We will then examine the report for issues in your Mac.

Cheers,

Jack

May 31, 2021 9:37 PM in response to WatershipDown17

I use a 2014 MacBook Pro 13" and also share a Late 2018 MacBook Air with my wife. They were both running the latest version of macOS Catalina. Both system also starts a VPN and an antivirus shield on login. No problem on the 2018 Air, but the older Pro experience problems, especially after I've done heavy internet search sessions on a non-admin account. I did the following

1. verified that I still have plenty of memory free after login (40%-45%)
  2. rebooted to Recovery Mode and ran Disk Utility First Aid on both Mac HD and Mac HD - Data partitions.

Step two fixed the problem, but the problem reoccured after another day or two for 2-3 hours of heavy internet searches. Assuming that Apple pays less attention to Catalina when they are readying to roll out the Beta version of the version after Big Sur, I went ahead and updated my 2014 MacBook Pro to Big Sur. I update this reply if I still the problem persist after another one or two heavy research sessions.

MacBook Pro’s odd behavior

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.