Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail is deleting my trash after 7 days but preferences say Never delete trash

I have my preferences for Mac Mail set to delete Trash "Never." But Mail is deleting them after 7 days. I read this discussion: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6706070. It gives an answer written in 2014. I haven't been able to follow its directions though, I think, because my system (High Sierra) just doesn't have the same user interface as it did back then. Can anyone update the instructions to fix this problem?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 5, 2020 8:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 9:22 AM

I finally found a solution! On my computer settings I went to iCloud and unchecked iCloud Drive. I don't know why that works but I read some other posts that talked about iCloud drive causing various problems so I tried it. I don't use that feature so I don't lose anything by turning it off.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2020 9:22 AM in response to LindaJoM

I finally found a solution! On my computer settings I went to iCloud and unchecked iCloud Drive. I don't know why that works but I read some other posts that talked about iCloud drive causing various problems so I tried it. I don't use that feature so I don't lose anything by turning it off.

Nov 5, 2020 9:14 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Thanks, BobTheFisherman, I checked the email provider's webpage and did not find anything about deleting. I also called my host twice and neither tech i spoke with could find any setting that would be causing it. My husband's email account on his laptop is behaving the same way--deleting mail from trash after 7 days--though he has his preferences set to delete trash after 1 month.

Nov 5, 2020 2:50 PM in response to LindaJoM

I think I have found the correct setting. On my phone I followed this path:

Settings, Apple ID, iCloud, Mail (there are two options for Mail; this is the one all the way at the bottom of the list), Advanced. Then I selected "Never" for Deleted Messages/Remove. I will update in a couple of days to confirm that this solved the problem.

My phone did not have "Never" Selected, but it had "1 week."

Mail is deleting my trash after 7 days but preferences say Never delete trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.