Looks like no oneā€™s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

APPLE WATCH

I AM CLUELESS ABOUT APPLE WATCHES BUT I AM INTERESTED IN BUYING ONE . I NEED TO KNOW THE FOLLOWING:

DOES THE WATCH REQUIRE AN APPLE PHONE TO MAKE IT WORK AND IS NECESSARY TO BE IN RANGE OF PHONE (WHAT IS THE RANGE)

IS IT WATERPROOF I SWIM IN POOL DAILY 90 94 DEGREES

I AM IN A WHEEL CHAIR LIVE ALONG WANT TO REPLACE A "FALL" BUTTON FOR INSIDE HOME AS WELL AS OUTSIDE.

WHAT IF I AM TRAVELING IN THE US OR INTERNATIONAL WHAT WOULD I NEED

WHAT ACCESSORIES WOULD I NEED ? HOME CHARGER BASE? CAR CHARGER BASE?

USE CURRENTLY A SAMSUNG GALAXY 5 PHONE

DOES THE APPLE WATCH HAVE ITS OWN PHONE NUMBER

DO I NEED A BLUETOOTH FOR TRAVELING IN AUTO DOES IT GIVE DRIVING DIRECTIONS

Apple Watch

Posted on Nov 5, 2020 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2020 2:54 PM

DOES THE WATCH REQUIRE AN APPLE PHONE TO MAKE IT WORK

Yes

A Family plan allows 1 iPhone to manage the Apple Watches for children and elderly.

AND IS NECESSARY TO BE IN RANGE OF PHONE (WHAT IS THE RANGE)

The GPS only Apple Watch does depend on the iPhone being nearby. It can still go for a walk, run, bike ride etc... and still track your exercise. Music transferred and stored on the Apple Watch can be played while away from the iPhone.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205547

https://support.apple.com/guide/watch/use-apple-watch-without-its-paired-iphone-apd0443fb403/watchos

A Cellular Apple Watch can still make/receive phone calls, message, access the internet, etc... when away from the iPhone.

NOTE: The Apple Watch shares the iPhone's phone number, and for this service the cellular provider charges a monthly fee. In the U.S. the fee is $10 per month added to the iPhone's cellular bill.

The Apple Watch is water resistant.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205000

I AM IN A WHEEL CHAIR LIVE ALONG WANT TO REPLACE A "FALL" BUTTON FOR INSIDE HOME AS WELL AS OUTSIDE.

I am not qualified to answer whether the Apple Watch is a good substitute for your fall button. But assuming your fall does not make you unconscious, you should be able to use your Apple Watch to contact someone, even if the Apple Watch does not detect that you fell.

I only say that because I've found that the Fall Detection is sometimes hit or miss. You have to fall in such a way that the iPhone does not think it is something else. I've had false positive from chipping ice on my sidewalks, because of the acceleration and sudden stop of chipping sidewalk ice. And I've had no Fall Detection when I slipped on ice, but went down in a kind-of controlled fall.

But again if you are awake afterwards, you can use the Apple Watch to make a phone call or send a message.

The Apple Watch does Not support roaming. But when outside your cellular the Apple Watch will then act like a GPS only Apple Watch, and provided All its servers as long as the iPhone is nearby.

USB charging cable is included. You can plug this into any computer USB port, or a USB charging brick. If you want a watch stand vs the cable and charging puck that fits on the back of the Apple Watch, you would have to buy that yourself.

I don't know why you want a car charger, as most people just charge the Apple Watch over night. They do not take it off during the day. But if you want to charge it in the car, if your car has USB charging ports, you can plug the USB charging cable that comes with the Apple Watch into the port, or you can get one of those USB lighter plug chargers and plug into that.

Generally, these days, everyone has either a home computer with USB ports, or they have a bunch of small USB charging bricks, or they have installed wall outlets with USB ports, et... so charging is not an issue.

Having said that, I did get an Apple Watch charging stand for my night table so I could easily charge it overnight. The charger that came with my Apple Watch I keep in my travel kit (and I'll use it again, when it is safe to travel again).

Apple Watch will not work. If you do not want to get an iPhone, then look at the various alternate smart watches that are Android compatible.

As mentioned above, the Apple Watch shares its phone number with the iPhone.

If using the Apple Watch Family sharing where one member of the family owns an iPhone, and acts as the "Parental Unit", then the child or elderly Apple Watch user does get their own phone number. But again, the "Parental Unit" has control of the attached Apple Watches, and some features are not supports on these dependent Apple Watches.

And of course the cellular provided that support Apple Watch Family Sharing will charge for each dependent Apple Watch's cellular service (check with the cellular provider to see how much they will charge per dependent Apple Watch).

No. Directions can be spoken through the Apple Watch speakers.

HOWEVER, because the Apple Watch battery is very small, the Apple Watch will Not play music via it speakers, as continuous music play, will quickly drain the Apple Watch battery. Music playback does need Bluetooth headphones, or Bluetooth speakers.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2020 2:54 PM in response to PEARL1218

DOES THE WATCH REQUIRE AN APPLE PHONE TO MAKE IT WORK

Yes

A Family plan allows 1 iPhone to manage the Apple Watches for children and elderly.

AND IS NECESSARY TO BE IN RANGE OF PHONE (WHAT IS THE RANGE)

The GPS only Apple Watch does depend on the iPhone being nearby. It can still go for a walk, run, bike ride etc... and still track your exercise. Music transferred and stored on the Apple Watch can be played while away from the iPhone.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205547

https://support.apple.com/guide/watch/use-apple-watch-without-its-paired-iphone-apd0443fb403/watchos

A Cellular Apple Watch can still make/receive phone calls, message, access the internet, etc... when away from the iPhone.

NOTE: The Apple Watch shares the iPhone's phone number, and for this service the cellular provider charges a monthly fee. In the U.S. the fee is $10 per month added to the iPhone's cellular bill.

The Apple Watch is water resistant.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205000

I am not qualified to answer whether the Apple Watch is a good substitute for your fall button. But assuming your fall does not make you unconscious, you should be able to use your Apple Watch to contact someone, even if the Apple Watch does not detect that you fell.

I only say that because I've found that the Fall Detection is sometimes hit or miss. You have to fall in such a way that the iPhone does not think it is something else. I've had false positive from chipping ice on my sidewalks, because of the acceleration and sudden stop of chipping sidewalk ice. And I've had no Fall Detection when I slipped on ice, but went down in a kind-of controlled fall.

But again if you are awake afterwards, you can use the Apple Watch to make a phone call or send a message.

The Apple Watch does Not support roaming. But when outside your cellular the Apple Watch will then act like a GPS only Apple Watch, and provided All its servers as long as the iPhone is nearby.

USB charging cable is included. You can plug this into any computer USB port, or a USB charging brick. If you want a watch stand vs the cable and charging puck that fits on the back of the Apple Watch, you would have to buy that yourself.

I don't know why you want a car charger, as most people just charge the Apple Watch over night. They do not take it off during the day. But if you want to charge it in the car, if your car has USB charging ports, you can plug the USB charging cable that comes with the Apple Watch into the port, or you can get one of those USB lighter plug chargers and plug into that.

Generally, these days, everyone has either a home computer with USB ports, or they have a bunch of small USB charging bricks, or they have installed wall outlets with USB ports, et... so charging is not an issue.

Having said that, I did get an Apple Watch charging stand for my night table so I could easily charge it overnight. The charger that came with my Apple Watch I keep in my travel kit (and I'll use it again, when it is safe to travel again).

Apple Watch will not work. If you do not want to get an iPhone, then look at the various alternate smart watches that are Android compatible.

As mentioned above, the Apple Watch shares its phone number with the iPhone.

If using the Apple Watch Family sharing where one member of the family owns an iPhone, and acts as the "Parental Unit", then the child or elderly Apple Watch user does get their own phone number. But again, the "Parental Unit" has control of the attached Apple Watches, and some features are not supports on these dependent Apple Watches.

And of course the cellular provided that support Apple Watch Family Sharing will charge for each dependent Apple Watch's cellular service (check with the cellular provider to see how much they will charge per dependent Apple Watch).

No. Directions can be spoken through the Apple Watch speakers.

HOWEVER, because the Apple Watch battery is very small, the Apple Watch will Not play music via it speakers, as continuous music play, will quickly drain the Apple Watch battery. Music playback does need Bluetooth headphones, or Bluetooth speakers.

APPLE WATCH

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.